PDA

View Full Version : Having a colonscopy after years of bleeding

selphie
30-09-13, 10:11
Hi everybody.

I have not been here for some time as i thought my anxiety had gone, It had but now i have this new problem and its back and i am having sleepless nights.

About 10 years ago i was suffering a bout of constipation, I thought nothing of it until i got diarrhea, and then i started to bleed from my back passage.

It all came on in the middle of the night, I had stomach cramps and i was desperately in need to go to the loo but i couldn't, It felt like i had eaten something bad. In the end i managed to go, it turned into Diarrhea and i thought that would be the end of it, but i kept having to rush back to the loo to go more.

The thing is, It turned in to just passing watery blood, mixed with white mucousy stuff, and still had bad stomach cramps, but just passing blood on its own. This went on for a day, I was bedridden as i kept having to rush back to the loo, to pass just blood and white mucous. then it would just go away again.

I went to the doctor while i was having these episodes, she examined me, said i had a few piles and that she would send me to see a consultant just to be on the safe side, shes asked me what colour the blood was.... Now this is where i am not sure what kind it is dark or red, when i wiped, light blood on the tissue, but looking in the toilet bowl it looked dark and not mixed in just laying around my stools.

I went for a sigmoidoscopy, well they found nothing and said just a few piles.

Well throughout the years, I still get it, It comes and goes, but every time it comes, its the same way...... cant go, then Diarrhea, then just passing blood with white mucous that will last for one day, then go again and i will feel Okay again, last time tho, there seemed to be more blood.... So again i went back to the doctors, had my bloods done and they ALL came back normal.

I have just had a letter saying i need to go for an endoscopy, not sure what that is, but my husband said its a colonoscopy, and they're going to sedate me.

I AM TERRIFIED. I cant sleep and eat worrying myself sick about this and the results. can somebody help me to tell me what they think i have.... and whats going to happen in this procedure. XX

nomorepanic
30-09-13, 13:38
An endoscopy usually means going down the throat and not up the backside.

What exactly does the letter say?

selphie
30-09-13, 14:09
Thank you for replying.

The letter says your details have been passed to the hospital endoscopy unit by your gp with a view to offer you a date to have your endoscopy procedure.

I thought that it would be for the lower bowel because of the bleeding that i have been having.

I cant see how they would want to do it for the upper endoscopy as my symptoms are bleeding, with very bad stomach cramps. XX

AnxietySufferer
21-11-13, 14:17
I haven been having very similar symptoms so i hope everything goes okay :( i am soso scared its all i think about and i constantly feel so ill, i just want to cry all the time

selphie
02-01-14, 11:03
I have my simoidoscopy tomorrow. This is the second time i have cancelled it now, first time as i was to scared to go through with it, last time as i had a bug, so i told the hospital and they said i had to cancel.

I thought i was having a colonoscopy at first but i got it wrong they're only going to look at my lower bowel, as that is where the bleeding is coming from.

I like you are terrified of all the symptoms i have been getting, I am also terrified of having this procedure done, but in a way i just want to know whats wrong with me so i can stop worrying, at least i will know.

I am more worried of something going wrong with the procedure other than what they will find, but i supposed if they do find something i will worry about that next.

Its a vicious circle. Worrying about worrying. xx