PDA

View Full Version : pain killers and anxiety

Darren1
30-09-13, 16:52
I know ive posted about this before but noone really replied

am i the only one that has a problem with painkillers?

sometimes i get a symptom, for example ive been getting shooting pains in my head randomly - i reach for the ibuprofen immediately - because i dont want the symptom to persist even if it was a one off and taking the ibuprofen was pointless

im now affraid to go without taking a pain killer for too long because i just KNOW a symptom will crop up

its like a safety blanket.

i have been taking them genuinly for my neck pain although i know i dont need to take as many as i do, they're almost like my insurance policy??

is this common?? should i seek a pain killer addiction forum?

yenool
01-10-13, 13:19
I don't think it is possible to get physically addicted to ibuprofen, unless you are taking nurofen plus with codeine in it.

I have a chronic pain condition and I often take my pain medications as a preventative measure - like when I know I will do something that may trigger my pain or even if I just feel something 'coming on', because I would rather nip it in the bud than have to struggle with bad pain.

Unless you are taking more than the prescribed / recommended safe dose I wouldn't worry about it.

Brunette
01-10-13, 13:46
You can't get addicted to ibuprofen but taking any painkiller long term is not good for you and those that need to (arthritis patients for example) have to be monitored by their GP.

You shouldn't be taking them "just in case" as they can have serious effects. And when you do genuinely need to take painkillers you should certainly consider switching to paracetamol as they are gentler on your stomach.

HoneyLove
01-10-13, 16:41
Y
You shouldn't be taking them "just in case" as they can have serious effects. And when you do genuinely need to take painkillers you should certainly consider switching to paracetamol as they are gentler on your stomach.

This is important Darren, ibuprofen used long term like that can be really damaging, especially to your stomach.

Fishmanpa
01-10-13, 17:28
As others have said, you can't get addicted to ibuprofen but it can have detrimental effects (stomach and kidney issues) if taken too much.

Narcotics on the other hand is a whole 'nother beast!