PDA

View Full Version : google

tiff123
01-10-13, 14:35
I managed some days without googling and then failed massively today - and convinced myself I have various terminal illnesses and generally frightened myself a lot. It was really stupid thing to do.

It's not helping I'm run down atm with stress so have bugs failing to clear up, due to a house sale dragging on I guess, which has been v stressy.

This is to tell myself I need to accept I have got run down from stress and just have 'normal' cold/bug type things and it doesn't signify some underlying horrid illness.

Must stop being crazy and MUST NOT consult Dr Google. I could go and get tests but I want to leave it and stop this cycle.

AuntieMoosie
01-10-13, 18:47
Hun please try and be kind to yourself by keeping away from Dr Google :)

You see, going to see him today has done nothing but frighten you........and who wants a doctor like that?? :winks:

If I were to sit here and read what my mate Dr Google has to say, I can assure you that I would get the symptoms of every nasty disease that there is out there!!

Because we already have anxiety, it's all to easy for us to pick up the wrong end of the stick, we tend to fail to see the not so bad stuff and the really bad stuff acts like a magnet to us :)

There are a few virus type things going around where I live at the moment, a kind of cold type thing, a couple of my neighbours have had it and they said it felt pretty similar to having a little dose of the flu.

It's probably just one of these virus things that you've picked up and it's lingering a bit hun and, of course, if you're already under stress, that will impede your recovery a little too. Try and make sure that you get some good healthy sleep and eat a nice healthy diet packed with vitamins as both of these will aid your recovery hun :)

Please don't frighten yourself anymore...........give that nasty Dr Google the boot!!!! :winks: :hugs:

tiff123
01-10-13, 19:24
Thanks very much for your kind reply :)

I feel quite a bit better, having got things more in perspective.

Going to get back to avoiding google and go have some relaxing tv in bed time and taking my mind off stuff and a nice early night :)

Finally exchanged on my house sale today, which has been causing me quite a bit of stress (prob not helping the bug or the HA) so hopefully I can have more of a chance to get fully well now that is done.

When I'm moved into my new house (not for a month yet, staying with family until then)... I plan to try and get my new doc to help me with my actual problem of HA... hopefully a therapist qualified to tackle such things.

Anyway, thanks again for your message :)

greenlady
01-10-13, 19:48
hi tiff123
i have had a nasty virus for nearly 4 weeks it started in my sinuses and i now have a horrible cough..had swollen glands etc..but dr says nasty bugs arround just now and i know several people that have had it too..apparently it can last 6 weeks or more..so don't fret..god bless..gina

Tessar
01-10-13, 19:58
Yes indeed STOP SEEING DR GOOGLE..... He is bad for you. Why not replace that temptation by messaging here? Any time you feel the urge, tell us about it. Perhaps that way you can start breaking the habit. Replace the habit with a more productive one. Get up. Do something. Don't give in. There are alot of others who end up on google too. One thing I can be certain of is that no-one is better off for googling when they have HA. RESIST.

greenlady
01-10-13, 20:06
yes you are right tessar i know to my cost googled swollen lymph node 2 years ago and have been on the merry go round of HA ever since..i wish i had never done it..now got that out of my head due to my drs patience .even though she knew it was ok she sent me for an ulrtasound ..my node was tiny and has been for 2 years..but hey ho i get a viryus glands swell to protect me and i am off again..when will i learn...

tiff123
01-10-13, 20:18
Yes totally agree.

But most of us know we must not consult with google but I guess when the HA is at its highest and you just *have* to check something.. of course no real doc is available on those time scales. So it's my mission to try and be stronger at those times.

It's an addiction I guess? Thankfully I don't have any others as this one is enough to manage! :)

greenlady
01-10-13, 20:27
yes me too..dont know how many sleepless night i have had..but lucky to have such a patient dr..she sits and listens to me ..never judges me and always has tissues to hand:)

suki300
01-10-13, 21:26
Hi,

Don't know if this will help, but I work for a search engine optimisation company, I'm not an expert, but just thinking about why websites appear might help.

There are lots of reasons if you type in a search term why a website comes up. Some of these companies pay a lot of money to get high up on Google. Even if I type in sore throat - on that page it mentions "something more serious" as part of the keywords on the little description just below the website.

Interestingly those descriptions are what will help you click on them, so for most people the words "something more serious" are going to make you want to click on them and then they've got you!

What do the majority of websites on Google want you to do - click on them of course! Why? Because they want to make money (the long and short of it). There are very few sites that exist purely for to give information (like this one). Even well known consumer sites like money saving expert are constantly plugging great deals because they make money out of them. How many websites do you click on that are full of adverts? They want you to click on them and so they receive their affiliate fee.

I write online for a living and my job is to write useful information for the leisure industry. My main client asks me to include specific keywords and although the information has to be of interest to the reader - their ultimate goal is to get those who sign up to use insurance. Although you wouldn't really guess - you'd think they were offering a useful service to members, but the company's ulterior motive is that the member will sign up to an insurance product. I'm not an expert in the genre I write for, but I try and research and if I was asked to do something medical there would be a whole host of information out there, of which I could write about anything from the minor to the more major (I haven't btw).

So next time you're on a website, look at how many adverts they have plastered all over them and think what are this website trying to gain from me looking on their site? Do they want my information if I sign up? Are they really there for my benefit, or have I landed on a page for their benefit?

Like I say I'm no expert, but it might help you see why Dr Google is not the way to find the answers.

Hypo
01-10-13, 22:08
Google diagnosed me with Tonsil cancer, stroke and a brain tumour all in one day.

He's an ********!

tiff123
01-10-13, 23:19
Hypo - that's basically what he told me too. Its v exhausting! He should be sacked :)