PDA

View Full Version : Chest pain, palpitations and breathlessness

j2
01-10-13, 21:00
I am a 42 yr old, thin smoker who cycles about 30 miles a week and I run a litte every week. I have had HA, GERD and IBS for many years. I have had palps for years and panic attacks on occasion. For may weeks or even months I have felt breathless with recurring moderate to sharp pain in the middle of my chest sometimes with exertion but other times when I am just sitting still. When I carry a heavy object I feel more out of breath than I think I should. But I don't feel like I am more out of breath than I should be when I run or cycle. The pain goes away, does not radiate and feels like it is more the ribcage or just underneath it. When I cycle I don't have any pain but it hurts when I start running but goes away after a while. I know I should talk to my Dr about this but I can't afford another visit and I rationalize (perhaps wrongly) that if this was a heart or lung condition then it would show up when I exercise or would have killed me by now or at least gotten worse. Every time it happens I begin to panic and that only makes everything worse.

Do you guys have any rational thoughts as I am struggling to stay calm.

Thanks in advance and I love this forum.

J2

j2
24-01-18, 12:12
Just saw this old post of mine as i was searching through the forum because I have recurring shortness of breath. I guess I have had this before and maybe this time I will believe it is anxiety.

Still love this forum.

J2