PDA

View Full Version : please need some advice

scrumking
02-10-13, 02:57
as most of us with health anxiety know meds and their side effects can be scary but mixing meds can be even scarier, i have been on cipralex for a few weeks now and just started having really bad seasonal allergies which i deal with every spring and fall but this is the first year i have been dealing with health anxiety and im currently holding a zyrtec in my hand wanting to take it for relief of my allergies but i am scared it will have a serious or even deadly interaction with my cipralex

thoughts?

Speranza
02-10-13, 03:07
I don't know, but I avoided taking anti-histamine with Prozac, figuring both make me drowsy. Your best bet would be to talk to the pharmacist - they know all these interactions.

debs71
02-10-13, 13:12
Hi scrumking,

The main reason that antihistamines are to be used with caution with SSRI meds is because some increase drowsiness and dizziness, etc. (the same effect as our meds) so it is recommended to be cautious about their use.

I have hay fever get itchy skin from allergies, and have taken Loratadine (another antihistamine) without any issue whatsoever with Cipralex for years. Loratadine is a non-drowsy antihistamine, once a day dosage and works just as well as Cetirizine (Zyrtec)

I would agree with Speranza though. If you are really concerned I would be inclined to call your local pharmacy to confirm exactly what you can take with Cipralex. Allergies are miserable if untreated, and they can suggest an appropriate drug to take.:)