PDA

View Full Version : This doesnt make sense

nck44
02-10-13, 13:10
am losing weight on my stomach fast I can tell due to my clothes
yet the scales so I am putting weight on!
I am no way imagining it but cant understand how losing fat on my stomach has made my weight go up
If i am losing fat the weight would be dropping off me but the scales so no?

Fishmanpa
02-10-13, 13:19
You're correct in that it doesn't make sense as there is no such thing as "spot reduction". There are no diet, pills or exercises that can reduce belly fat or slim your thighs. Body fat is body fat and it comes off the opposite of how it goes on. If you typically gain weight in your butt, your butt will be the last place to lose it.

Many things can attribute the scale going up. Muscle gains, the amount you evacuate, both liquid and solid, what you're eating etc. I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

Good luck!

BumbleGirl
02-10-13, 13:20
Have you gained more muscle? Are the scales definitely right? X

tiff123
02-10-13, 13:37
As posted, two options here

1/ scales are wrong.
2/ you are losing fat but putting on muscle.

Hope you have a good day :)

nck44
02-10-13, 14:47
its definately not muscle
not sure about the scales, I know most people think I am crazy but I can see losing fat off my body but the scales say I have put it on. If I tell that to people they'll think I am wacko but its what i can really see. Thats why it doesnt make sense.

tiff123
02-10-13, 16:07
Well you can't be losing weight at the same time as putting on weight. One of those beliefs is wrong.

Why not go to the docs get weighed and in a months time go again if its bothering you.

Congrats on losing some fat though (if you have) :)

tracieann
02-10-13, 20:12
could it be that you were mpre bloated around your tummy and now your not ie from air or anything gas etc just a thought

Anxious_gal
02-10-13, 20:28
Gaining muscle. Fat turns into muscle, muscle weighs more than fat.

nck44
05-10-13, 22:27
Gaining muscle. Fat turns into muscle, muscle weighs more than fat.

But am not doing any exercises. I am 110% certain am losing fat on stomach as can see it gone and also t-shirt is baggy but when I weighed myself at docs I hadnt lost any. It doest make sense. I know its sounds crazy but have deffo lost on my stomach but not put it on anywhere at all yet scales say not. If someone else told me this I would think they were crazy but I am certain of it. There is no way I am imagining it/i'm not some loon seeing things that arent there I swear it

Anxious_gal
06-10-13, 01:00
Have you measured your waist? Are you sure your clothes haven't just streached?
I think you're ok :) just keep an eye on it but I don't think you should worry.

Fishmanpa
06-10-13, 01:28
There was a video I found done a by a woman who suffered from anxiety, specifically HA. I posted a link to it here a little while back. As it turned out, she was a member here. In this video, she described a similar issue in that her hands were getting thinner and she was losing weight yet the scale didn't change nor could anyone else see what she was seeing. She swore it was happening though and no one could tell her otherwise.

The mind is a very powerful organ and can influence our bodies in more ways than we realize. Unless you are exercising, losing body fat and gaining muscle, what you claim is physiologically impossible. Even if this were really happening, what's so terrible about losing a couple of inches around your waist? There are thousands that wish they could without exercise or diet ;)

nck44
06-10-13, 11:39
I am a tad overweight hence my stomach sticks out which means I can tell that I am losing a lot of weight off it quickly but the scales say not. I know that sounds madness but its true and really freaking me out
add in the fact hand is boney too and I am in a real mess
No way to start the day

nck44
06-10-13, 19:42
There was a video I found done a by a woman who suffered from anxiety, specifically HA. I posted a link to it here a little while back. As it turned out, she was a member here. In this video, she described a similar issue in that her hands were getting thinner and she was losing weight yet the scale didn't change nor could anyone else see what she was seeing. She swore it was happening though and no one could tell her otherwise.

The mind is a very powerful organ and can influence our bodies in more ways than we realize. Unless you are exercising, losing body fat and gaining muscle, what you claim is physiologically impossible. Even if this were really happening, what's so terrible about losing a couple of inches around your waist? There are thousands that wish they could without exercise or diet ;)

Thats what I thought at first but the evidence is irrefutable. My left hand is totally fine but the right is just wasted and all bone as you can see here
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/1974417/file.html#
the worst one is the one furthest away from my thumb
I dont know what you call that? your knuckle or what but its definitely getting worse. Is there any muscle there or is it just fat thats gone?
I am sounding like a total loon but I can see and more importantly can feel its bone
going to GPs is no longer an option

emlica
08-10-13, 11:17
Sorry if this sounds too flippant, but there is literally nothing in that photo that looks even slightly unusual to me. You have bones in your hands that you can see and feel - that's not weird. I can't feel much that I'd call 'fat' on the backs of my hands - just skin, bone, tendons, etc - and I'm *not* skinny.

If the scales say you aren't losing weight, and the scales aren't malfunctioning, then you're not losing weight. If the scales are malfunctioning then it's anyone's guess!

You didn't answer the earlier question about whether you've measured your stomach/waist. I know you said you can tell, but the mind is a strange thing and you're just comparing it to what you think you remember. Which is not 'irrefutable' evidence at all! Also, clothes stretch - by quite a lot depending on the material. I quite often find that trousers are tight round my waist when I buy them - sometimes to the point of being uncomfortable - but give them a couple of weeks and I'm having to wear a belt with them. And it's not that I've lost weight! If your stomach is definitely (and I mean definitely as in *measured*, not just that you think it has) getting flatter but you've not lost weight, then the chances are that what was causing it to stick out wasn't just fat but bloating/gas.

harasgenster
08-10-13, 12:24
Your hand is fine.

When I had an eating disorder I could sometimes literally see my thighs expanding before my eyes. It's in your mind. If you focus on something and your brain is in the right state, you imagine things.

As for losing belly fat and not seeing any difference on the scales, this happens to me all the time. Answer is bloating. It might look like fat because the bloating inside is sort of pushing your fat out, so you might see fat spill over your trousers or something and convince yourself it's fat that makes your stomach large. But when the bloating goes down it disappears. Bloating can be pretty much constant for months or years - mine was. When my bloating went down quite suddenly one day, I had loads of people asking what diet I had been on etc. I hadn't lost a pound.

Also, you can put on up to five pounds through water retention and you won't necessarily see that five pounds on your body.

How you look and what your weight is are two different things. There's loads of factors that go into how much you weigh and loads of factors that go into how much you look like you weigh. So basically, it's normal.

Fishmanpa
08-10-13, 13:07
I dont know what you call that?

A perfectly normal hand?

Good Luck!