PDA

View Full Version : Is exercise a good solution?

Thomas1993
02-10-13, 17:43
So was thinking about going for a jog this evening although I don't know if that would freak me out or not.

I'm always edgy about my heart rate and must check it about a thousand times a day! I don't know if exercise would just freak me out more as naturally my heart rate would increase with exercise. I've played a couple of games of football since being diagnosed with anxiety but I've not been the same I was before...I found myself not running around as much and my concentration was really low. I miss football a lot and would love to get back into the focus of it.

Also...another quick question. I've had near enough EVERY single symptom of stress and anxiety in the past 2 months and my GP has obviously diagnosed me with anxiety although I did get my heart checked I had no tests done on my head. It feels constantly tight I'm getting frequent headaches and occasionally I get a burning sensation in my head. Not to mention sore eyes, numb lips, weird ringing in my ears sometimes. Is that okay to not be checked yet be diagnosed with anxiety without these tests? It's been going on for about 2 months and despite distractions my head symptoms aren't going away. The tight chest/chest pains/sore left arm come and go but the head symptoms are more common.

Thanks a lot :)

suki300
02-10-13, 17:52
Is there a running group in your area, or someone you can run with? I found these useful if you are the type of person to think about your breathing when running (I do), because you end up talking with people when you're running and that really takes breathing off your mind because you end up being distracted and it also regulates your breathing.

Also don't worry if you do end up thinking about it for the first couple of jogging sessions - you'll find it soon calms down when you get into it.

Thomas1993
02-10-13, 17:54
Yes I have a few people I could go jogging with and I suppose that would help. I'll need to give it a try although when I play football I'm still aware of my heart rate despite having 10 people around me so who knows. But worth a go as I really need to stay in shape! Thanks!

sofaboy
02-10-13, 18:00
in my limited experience exercise is incredible useful and really helps with my symptoms. firstly it acts as a reall good distraction - when i'm hammering the running machine or out on my bike i'm focused and don't have the the opportunity to worry or be anxious about physical symptoms & therefore make them worse by thinking about them. secondly, exercise is great for burning cortisol (the stress hormone) and adrenalin, the two main causes of the physical symptoms. thirdly, the endorphin release you get from exercise is good for your general happyness / lack of worry.

don't worry about an increased heart rate from exercise. you know that this is a natural side effect of physical exertion, therefore it's expected and explainable, therefore you won't freak out about it (for want of a better term)

suki300
02-10-13, 18:04
Well - that's great if you have some people you can go running with. I think though that running is different to football, because you can have quite a conversation rather than just shouting you're in space!

It will definitely do you some good and it tends to have a build up effect as well. Plus, sometimes football requires bursts of energy, which will make you think about your heart rate (although like sofaboy says, it is normal for your heart rate to increase), whereas if you go for a steady jog, unless you're trying to beat a time, it can become very relaxing.

Thomas1993
02-10-13, 18:10
What about the last part if you's read it?

suki300
02-10-13, 18:22
Did you ask the doctor about them?

My guess is that all the things you are experiencing are anxiety related, but if you are concerned, don't be afraid to go back and ask.

Thomas1993
02-10-13, 18:23
Going to make an appointment tomorrow and just discuss becomes sometimes I get new symptoms just depends on the day.

suki300
02-10-13, 18:28
Well, I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest. Anxiety causes all sorts of weird aches pains and sensations. Being in the frame of mind that us anxious people tend to be in, it's very easy to worry that those might be associated with somethign more serious, but the reality is that it's simply a side affect of your anxiety.

ankietyjoe
02-10-13, 18:48
There is not much of a health benefit in jogging over a brisk walk, which is just as good for you. You also won't mash up your knees or push your heart rate too far.

Most phones have decent pedometer apps as well so you can judge performance, which I find useful. It allows me to do a little more each day.

suki300
02-10-13, 19:49
Oh come on - there's nothing like a good run. Whether you think it's a good idea or not, I get a lot out of it. don't put him off, it's better than sitting around doing nothing :)

Volvoman50
03-10-13, 19:34
Yes it is i find it really helps to make you feel better! Use the positive thinking too.

melbee
03-10-13, 23:31
All the symptoms you describes, I had them. I was extremly concerned about my health, got tested a thousand times... MRI, CT, ECG, blood tests, urines tests, ultrasound, you name it, I had it all. But I had nothing of course.

I now exercise on a daily basis and I feel so much better. Like you, I have sooo stressed out about my heart and blood pressure but once i decided i was going to do it (and lose those vanity pounds), I did it and there is only good things about it. I feel much more relaxed now.

ankietyjoe
04-10-13, 11:37
Oh come on - there's nothing like a good run. Whether you think it's a good idea or not, I get a lot out of it. don't put him off, it's better than sitting around doing nothing :)

Well in my experience if I went for even a 2 minute run it would bring on massive racing heart symptoms for several hours, and this is pretty common. In 2011 I did a big workout with weights that ultimately hospitalised me, the resulting anxiety and other symptoms were so bad. Some people just react very, very badly to anything more than mild exercise whilst recovering from exercise and I am sadly one of them.

Like I say there's no real health benefit in jogging over brisk walking, apart from ultimate endurance which is arguably not the ultimate goal when exercising for mental health.

We all experience things differently obviously.

suki300
04-10-13, 11:51
Like I say there's no real health benefit in jogging over brisk walking, apart from ultimate endurance which is arguably not the ultimate goal when exercising for mental health.

We all experience things differently obviously.

I can say without a doubt running has done far more for my mental health than had I of just walked (and I walk a lot). I could run, have a conversation and my heart wouldn't be pounding out of my chest. Brisk walking is okay, but I feel very restricted and actually more uncomfortable than running. The freedom of running down a hill with the wind in your hair can does my mental health the world of good. It is the thing that puts me in a really good place and with every little challenge I complete, be it a big hill or just getting out when it's a bit drizzly, does more for me than anything else.

You've obviously had a bad experience from it, but that's not to say everyone would react the same way and a lot of people love running and get an awful lot out of it.

ankietyjoe
04-10-13, 12:07
I couldn't agree more, except that I was addressing the OP's specific fear of heart rate rising.

For me it's probably got a lot to do with the fact that a couple of years of heavy suffering meant I let myself become sedentary and out of shape, meaning that even a brisk walk gets me up to about 120bpm in a couple of minutes.

Unhooray!