PDA

View Full Version : Panic?!!!

Em.ma
02-10-13, 17:50
Hi. I applied for a credit card to take on holiday with me.
Got a letter today from capital one, saying someone has tried to impersonate me and to call them
But their only their 8-4 when I'm at work.... Huge panic attack now,!? What if someone's got my bank details?!?!?'

suki300
02-10-13, 17:56
They have a 24 hour helpline for concerns about fraud:

http://www.capitalone.co.uk/support/reporting-fraud.jsf

I should imagine they will be able to help.

Thomas1993
02-10-13, 17:57
If the bank have phoned you to tell you that someone has tried to impersonate you then the most likely scenario is that they will have prevented that from happening. If you phone your bank whenever you can I'm sure they'll sort out a different account for you so your details will be different. Try to get out of the "what if" thought process and just enjoy yourself until anything is set in stone

:-)

Lilac58
02-10-13, 18:23
Emma, take the phone number from the website to call, not a number on the letter.

Banks etc are very good at sorting out these things, so don't worry.

Call the number from the official website and it will be sorted out.

Em.ma
02-10-13, 18:31
Hi. Got the application cancelled.

Thing is I applied because I need a card to go on holiday with (a credit card)
Going New York and lady in virgin holiday said we need to show the bank a credit card when we show up,,,, (to cover if we make any damages etc)
Now I'm panicking we won't be able to get one and won't be able to go on holidsy

Friend can't get one either. Credit hidtory

suki300
02-10-13, 18:40
Can you check if they accept a debit card?

Alternatively, you can try and apply for another card or go to your bank and see if they can apply for a credit card. I wouldn't worry you should be able to get something sorted.

Em.ma
02-10-13, 18:53
Debit and credit cards will be authorized at check-in for the amount of your confirmed reservations with an additional $100 held for incidental charges until your check out date. Authorized amounts may take up to 30 days after departure to be released and the hotel is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with funds.

It says this on their site. What does that mean?

nomorepanic
02-10-13, 18:55
Why did you cancel the card and not just sort things out with them?

Em.ma
02-10-13, 19:30
They wouldn't let me sort it out. Said I had to pay to send something in post then do this snd that so got upset as just cancelled it.
On the hotels site it mentions debit card. So do you reckon we can use my debit card. What about the bit about taking money. We've paid for the hotel allready?

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

It says debit and credit though. What does that mean. Does it mean we need both or boe or the other.
I'm a huge state of this. What if we get their and we can't stay then what :(

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

It also says debit and credit card. Does that mean we need both to stay :(
I'm so confused. What if we get their n we can't stay.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

I can just see as not being able to go because of it :'(

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6010016-Will_the_Roosevelt_Hotel_accept_a_debit_card-New_York_City_New_York.h

Found this,

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

On the trip advisor site itndsydbthis

'I called the hotel there. They said what all you guys are saying; they don't recommend a debit card because the transaction takes longer but its fine to use. She also said the deposit amount is about 100 dollars per day which is fine. Relieved now! Once again, thanks so much for all your help!'
I don't have 100 dollars a day.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

Debit and credit cards will be authorized at check-in for the amount of your confirmed reservations with an additional $100 held for incidental charges until your check out date. Authorized amounts may take up to 30 days after departure to be released and the hotel is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with funds.

But says additional $100 dollars here.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

We've paid for the hotel in the package so they shouldn't hold on to to much money should they on our debit card. Just the $100 dollar deposit thing to cover damage right?

Edie
02-10-13, 19:38
It's poor English. They mean debit OR credit card. They're going to take a deposit of $100, and return it to you after you leave, but it may be up to 30 days after you leave. It's not $100 per day, it's $100 total. Double check with the hotel if you're worried, they will be able to confirm what happens. Look them up on the internet and you should be able to find an email address for them.

If you want a credit card, you could always try the bank you already bank with. You will need to drop in anyway to let them know you're going to use your card abroad.

Seriously, it's going to be fine :)

Em.ma
02-10-13, 19:41
Thank you so much....
So ill get their hand my debit card over with well over $100 dollars on anyway .
They will take it...
I'm so relived didn't want to get their and be refused to stay their lol.

suki300
02-10-13, 19:45
In a lot of hotels here they ask for a card for the same reason.

Em.ma
02-10-13, 19:50
You mean you can use a debit card though?

suki300
02-10-13, 19:51
It might be worth checking, but it is usual for both to be accepted.

Em.ma
02-10-13, 19:54
It says on the site this

Just confused me as it said and not or.
Also hotel is paid for allready just need to pay the deposit on arrival but wasn't sure if we could pay it on debit card,
Lady we booked hotel with mentioned something bout credit cards but can't remember y or what she said,

nomorepanic
02-10-13, 20:12
Have you got your passport yet?

Em.ma
02-10-13, 20:20
Yes - have got that sorted, just this damn card business. Trying to decide if they'll accept the payment on my debit

nomorepanic
02-10-13, 20:38
Well it says debit cards will be accepted so they will be

lizzie29
02-10-13, 20:39
As someone has already said, it reads that they will. Not everyone has a credit card so they'd be silly just to accept them.

nomorepanic
Don't forget travel insurance as well

Em.ma
Thanks.
It's the only thing I have to look forward to snd didn't want it ruined.
What Edie says is right then?
Yes we have insurance :)