PDA

View Full Version : Can An Electric Shock Give You A Heart Attack?

lb76696
03-10-13, 19:35
I just got a big electric shock to the middle finger on my left hand. It was from the screws on a lightswitch - which have given me an electric shock before but not this big. Now I'm paranoid that I'm going to have a heart attack or something. My finger still hurts. Can it trigger a heart attack after the event or would it have done it straight away?

Thank You .
xxx

AuntieMoosie
03-10-13, 19:49
Well, I'm not a doctor or medically trained in any way, but I would have thought that if it were to cause a heart attack, it would be pretty instant.

What is concerning me more, is the fact that you seem to have a very dangerous light switch which sounds like it needs putting right urgently, electricity is nothing to mess about with, can you not get an electrician to come and fix it? :)

debs71
03-10-13, 19:58
I agree with AuntieMoosie.

You will not have a delayed reaction to a shock. A large electric shock will affect the heart immediately, not after the fact.

I got a shock the other week when removing a plug from a dodgy extension lead. Hurt like hell, but still here!

Worry not.:hugs:

yenool
03-10-13, 20:23
Only if the shock was lightening-volt massive or you were 101 years old and on your deathbed anyway. So as near as dammit impossible IMO.

Rachel W
04-10-13, 08:17
It would be immediate as the electricity would interfere with the electric impulses of the heart, hence why they sometimes shock to restart the heart. Electricity immediately dissipates and any remaining pain in the finger would just be the nerves or skin being hurt which should get better in a fews days if that. I once leaned on an electric fence. It hurt a LOT, but I was fine afterwards.