PDA

View Full Version : Visual snow? (medication-induced?) - anyone had it?

Emphyrio
04-10-13, 20:54
Hello,

I've been on citalopram since May, and from around June onwards I started noticing some 'visual snow' (like the static on an untuned TV) and occasional flashes of light in my vision. I had an eye test and a referral to a consultant who advised that my eyes were fine and that any visual issues were as a result of the citalopram.

The cit was helping my depression/anxiety/intrusive thoughts a lot so I decided that I would stay on it, even if it was hard to read things on the screen at times. However, the citalopram also brought with it occasional 'brain fog' and other symptoms, so I decided to cut down my medication somewhat after talking to my GP.

It improved the brain fog and fatigue slightly, though the visual snow was still there. However, in recent weeks, my anxiety and depression have crept back up on me. So yesterday I decided that I would come off citalopram and ask my GP for another antidepressant that did not have this 'visual snow' or any other visual issues as side effects.

I've read some stories online about how visual snow can be permanent or long-lasting though and I'm getting a bit worried :( Although I only stopped a day ago, there isn't much in the way of any improvements. I guess that what I'm asking is whether anyone here has had 'visual snow' which had been triggered by a specific medication, and if so, how long did it last?

Anxious_gal
04-10-13, 21:58
Visual snow is basically a type of hallucination. Like the aura part of a migraine. Mine is due to having migraines I think. First noticed it the same year my migraines started.

I know nothing about it being medication induced sorry. I don't know if anything helps. If it's due to the medication I would hope it'd clear up once you've stopped?

I don't think mine is ever going to clear up. It's much worse in low lighting so I hate the dark as its very hard for me too see through the snow.

Also white walls or looking at sky makes it seem worse.

I'm not aware of It most of the time but it sucks that I can't have clear vision but I guess it could be much worse.

How bad is yours? Does it affect your life much?

It must have been a shock if it came on sudden :(

I guess do some research. I know with migraine visual snow beta blockers can help. As well as certain migraine medication.

Tessar
04-10-13, 22:14
Emphyrio, i wish i had some specific information to give you but unfortunately it isn't something i have come across. at least you did seek a qualified medical opinion and everything was ok. as you've only had one day off the meds, I reckon on giving it more time. You don't want to be googling stuff like this because if you are already anxious it isn't going to help you. Hopefully in a few days things will settle for you. :-)

Emphyrio
04-10-13, 23:53
Thanks for your replies you two :)

Anxious_gal - I'm hoping mine clears up. I've been looking at things online though and have read a number of stories about people who got visual snow after one event which persisted with them for a while afterwards (or even indefinitely). I did have some headaches when taking citalopram at a slightly higher dose but never anything that I'd consider as being anywhere close to a migraine.

When I first noticed the visual snow I thought it was a transient side effect of the meds. It did impact upon my ability to work somewhat, but the medication also worked wonders for my anxiety - I could tolerate coffee again, for example. I was also a bit unsure about coming off it and starting new medication because I hate the start-up effects (doesn't everyone?). I always assumed however than when I stopped the med, the visual snow would go away...I'm just hoping that over the next week or so that is the case.

What triggered you migraines in the first instance if you don't mind me asking?