PDA

View Full Version : After alcohol

Andreathompson73
05-10-13, 12:49
I am I holiday, got very drunk last night and today I have the worst anxiety and bad thoughts. I'm really scared. Please help. Any tips? Xx

ankietyjoe
05-10-13, 13:06
Very common with alchohol, especially the day after.

The solution is to avoid alcohol.

jill
05-10-13, 13:30
Hi hun :D

:welcome: to the site :D

I know its hard for you right now, but this WILL PASS. drink plenty of water and eat well.

Challenge your thoughts hun, tell yourself this is just a hiccup and it will pass soon, it WILL hun :hugs: if you are abroad, try and stay cool, use the pool as a distraction, reassure yourself things are going to be just fine. Please hun try and distract yourself from how your feeling this will break the vicious roundabout of anxiety.

I know your scared hun :hugs: but your fears will only fuel your anxiety, your going to be just fine, PLEASE hun, reassure yourself, nothing bad is going to happen, you have just had a few to many drinks and because you have anxiety your mind and body are over reacting to a hangover, Mmm which can be normal when you have anxiety. Ohh blimey, I have done that a few times.

YOU ARE going to be fine hun :hugs: this WILL PASS.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

Edward_1980
05-10-13, 13:40
Alcohol is amazing at the time, but heavy consumption always brings on anxiety the next day. Don't worry, you will be fine. Just drink plenty of water and keep hydrated.

Andreathompson73
07-10-13, 22:28
Thankyou guys soo much.. I am home now and feeling ok.. The episode has scared the living daylights out if me. Haven't been bad like that with anxiety for a long time. Your messages and support mean soo much. I can't Thankyou enough.. Especially Jill. Your message is exactly what I need to read when I'm like that.. Big massive hugs and hope you all ok.. Needless to say alcohol is off the menu.. :-)
Xxxx

xvolatileheart
09-10-13, 10:29
I'm dealing with this right now. It's happened many times before but it always feels like "this time is the worst, I'm actually going to die." Good news is that it always passes, but it's a day or two of living hell.

Bonnibelle
09-10-13, 10:49
I haven't drunk in 10 months. I used to have a glass a few nights a week and I always used to wake in the night very anxious and the following day I felt awful. It just wasn't worth it so I no longer drink. If I was ever to go out and have a hangover the next day I would have such severe anxiety, it was horrible.

Fishmanpa
09-10-13, 15:38
I am I holiday, got very drunk last night and today I have the worst anxiety and bad thoughts. I'm really scared. Please help. Any tips? Xx

The easiest and most common sense tip is DON'T DRINK!

Good Luck!

Law777
09-10-13, 15:59
Hi Andrea.
Glad you're back home and feeling better! :-)

Alcohol depresses the nervous system (as it is a depressant drug). We get all chilled out on it as it can reduce anxiety and our inhibitions. Heavy drinking followed by suddenly stopping can cause the nervous system to bounce back past its default setting, and up into 'the red' zone, often bringing on anxiety and panic symptoms. (Bit like over-revving a car engine). As others have pointed out, only time will put things right, as the system gradually settles back to whatever is 'normal' for us. Some people use the hair of the dog method to gradually easen the nerves, but I wouldn't recommend it, as we can become dependent on alcohol without realising it! Been there and done that, so I choose not to drink at all now, and am much happier using CBT and prescribed meds to minimise my anxiety to manageable levels.

Hope this helps a bit. :-)