PDA

View Full Version : ideas needed for distraction techniques

sofaboy
05-10-13, 19:14
Hi Guys,

My CBT therapist has asked me to come up with some thoughts i can use to distract my self when i'm worrying about my symptoms. something i can really concentrate on and get in to, to then practice and use when i'm getting anxious to stop me thinking unhelpful things.

problem is, i'm really struggling to come up with ideas!

what have you guys used? what works well?

Thanks

Ben

nomorepanic
05-10-13, 19:19
Have you read this website page on here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/coping/

phil6
05-10-13, 19:20
Hi Sofaboy,
If you are like me then it is sometimes very difficult to distract yourself from anxious thoughts. People tell me to watch a good film or read a good book but I often find myself staring at the screen and still working through my negative thoughts. This is where mindfulness differs slightly from CBT in as much as you practice to just think the thoughts, acknowledge them without judgment and then just let them go.
But I do find sometimes playing some stupid card game on my ipad like patience or doing crosswords do help for a while.

Phil

sofaboy
05-10-13, 20:04
Have you read this website page on here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/coping/

thanks for that, yes had previously had a read and some good stuff in there. It's more the thought replacement thoughts i'm struggling to come up with ideas for.

something i can use to distract my self for a couple of minutes whilst at my desk, in a meeting or just lying around on the sofa

have been using counting counting backwards from a 100 in sixes, but it's not very engaging. just hitting a mental blank when try to think of some ideas, hence wanting to nick someones!

Volvoman50
05-10-13, 20:21
I try to play cards/chess on phone or tablet or start a conversation with someone. I am working on the mindfulness technique I am finding it works but its taking some practice only been at it a week and the old ocd habit of wanting to challenge or dispute or say that could not happen etc is a hard habit to break but I believe its worth it.

kutuup
06-10-13, 01:44
Two words: video games. I've been playing games since I was a kid and I can think of no better distraction. You're watching something, but it requires your direct input and thought. Plus games are highly underrated for how good the stories are nowadays, games are quickly developing as an art form all of their own. Even if you're not an established gamer or even really into games, there are games for you, start out with some Angry Birds or Candy Crush or things like that, those are both very simple games that are great for distracting yourself. There are some great games that are totally free too! (just beware of ones that ask you to spend money once you have the game) I'd recommend Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe and the free version of Minecraft to start you off :) I promise, neither of those will ask you for money at any point, although the paid version of Minecraft does cost a few pounds, I'm not sure how much. Both are very tame and relaxing games that are also a lot of fun and very distracting :)

Pipkin
06-10-13, 02:46
I try to remember things in a sequence. For example, a series of books I've read and what the story of each was - the same can apply to films. You could do an A to Z distraction like list animals/first names/flowers/birds/songs/groups with names beginning with A, B, C etc.

In general, I find lists and sequences very distracting as it's easy to pick back up if your mind wanders.

Pip

Speranza
06-10-13, 23:16
The games on here are great.

I use meditation techniques. One of the ones which works the most quickly for me is remembering a beach I used to live near, and a particular day when I was lying on a lounger in about 93 degrees. I feel the sun on my skin and the heat radiating up from the sand, and hear the sea... I'm not a natural at visualisation but this must be a really strong memory. Find something like that and go back to it time and again...

Kells81
06-10-13, 23:18
I find puzzle books really help me. I can still feel anxious watching tv or reading but doing puzzle books seems to use a part of my brain that stops the anxious feeling.