PDA

View Full Version : Pain in my ear when swallowing and feel like something is stuck in my throat

GirlAfraid23
06-10-13, 13:19
So i've recently got over a chesty cough and cold.

Thought I was out of the woods then I got up this morning early with a horrendous pain in my ear when I swallow and a feeling of something lodged in my throat.

As I have work tomorrow and it's a Sunday, I went to the walk in clinic, saw a doctor, she did all the tests, temp, looked into my throat etc and said everything seemed ok.
I explained it was very painful and I had never had something like this before and she said "it's just the common cold" I don't think it is to be honest. Ive never had this with a cold before, I've had a sore throat but not this ear pain and a feeling of something big inside my throat.

I now don't know what to do. I honestly thought I needed antibiotics. Now I'm back at home, in pain, with work tomorrow but I won't be able to go in if I feel like this.

I had a day off around one month ago on 5th September. So worried I will get in trouble for having another day off tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Should I go back to the doctors tomorrow?

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

Anybody??

Fishmanpa
06-10-13, 13:24
I went to the walk in clinic, saw a doctor, she did all the tests, temp, looked into my throat etc and said everything seemed ok.....she said "it's just the common cold".... Should I go back to the doctors tomorrow?

Do you see the pattern here?

Good Luck!

yenool
06-10-13, 13:41
Yeah I get this when I have a cold or bug sometimes..... feels like the ear is bunged up and the sore lumpy throat is unpleasant too. I think it is pretty common.

If you start to get bad throbbing pain in the ear (not just when swallowing) and run a temperature then go back... otherwise wait it out.

Antibiotics are not needed for a cold anyway.

GirlAfraid23
06-10-13, 16:32
I've just never had this feeling with a cold before.

It feels as though there's a gold ball trapped in my throat and my ear doesn't feel right either.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Don't know whether to go to work tomorrow or not.

yenool
06-10-13, 18:58
I've just never had this feeling with a cold before.

It feels as though there's a gold ball trapped in my throat and my ear doesn't feel right either.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Don't know whether to go to work tomorrow or not.

Unless you feel really bad then go........ being busy will take your mind off the anxiety.

lizzie29
06-10-13, 19:33
I've had this when I've had slightly swollen glands with a cold, or even just a bad throat. If the doctor says you're fine and it's just a cold, then trust them. They can't give you anything for that anyway. See how it goes over the next few days with some lemsip or something. If it's still bad in a week or so then maybe go back, that's what I'd do. Chances are it will've gone by then anyway.

If you don't have a temperature then I suggest going to work. If it's a cold, yes take it easy, but you don't need to stay at home. The fresh air, change of scenery and distraction will help. I had a horrible cold a couple of weeks ago, with a temperature on and off, but felt slightly better when I was busy and not focussing on it.

GirlAfraid23
06-10-13, 20:35
I'm going to see how I feel in the morning.

It's very painful tonight so if it's still the same tomorrow I may spend one more day resting.

I had a chesty cough for the best part of two weeks and went in everyday, despite everyone I work with saying I shouldn't have.