PDA

View Full Version : New Cat

Lilac58
06-10-13, 14:48
Hi,

I have had cats all my life (I'm 55) and a few months ago lost my 11 yr old to a tumour and a month later my 18 yr old to old age.

I am collecting a cat tonight that needs re homing, she is friendly. easygoing and I know she will get the best care.

But somehow I have lost my confidence. Does that make sense? I knew my cats and as yet I don't now her. I know I will soon understand her needs, but before I didn't have these anxieties and concerns.

Lilac

Rennie1989
06-10-13, 15:00
I haven't had cats for years but I can understand the anxiety that comes along a newcomer. Is there anything in particular that you are worried about, like if the cats don't get on?

As you said yourself, you'll soon get to know her and the worries will go. I bet once you get your new cat tonight those worries will disappear, once you see her cute little face!

I'm a cat lover so I'm well jell ;)

Annie0904
06-10-13, 15:54
I was just the same when I got my new cat, he seemed so vulnerable and at the time I wasn't sure how to take care of myself let alone another cat! (I already had a silver Bengal) I am so pleased I got him now. The first few weeks were not easy getting into a new routine but now I would be totally lost without him. I just love him to pieces. Please share a photo when you get her. :)

bernie1977
06-10-13, 16:02
I know how you feel Lilac, it's hard when you've lost two so close together it makes you fear getting another. I have one cat left after losing two over the last 3 years. One had a tumour on her heart and we lost her at five years old then this year we lost another who had chronic renal failure and over active thyroid, she was only six. It's so hard as we grieve for them. I'm overly protective now of my remaining cat after losing two so young. I am getting better and I'm sure it will pass.

You will make a great owner for this cat, she is lucky to be getting rehomed with you. Good luck and think what a good thing you have done by rescuing this cat xx

Speranza
06-10-13, 23:05
How wonderful to be starting again! My cat is 18 and I really don't think I would want another very soon - but they do have a habit of finding you.

Think about it - have you EVER had a cat who didn't know how to make their needs known and train you in which foods to buy, etc?

Exactly!

Edie
07-10-13, 02:37
These thoughts are your illness speaking. You know you are a competent cat-keeper. Hope you and your new kitty are having a restful first night together and I look forward to seeing photos when she's settled enough to pose.

Lilac58
11-10-13, 19:50
Thank you so much for your replies, and for not thinking me silly with my worries.

Over a lifetime, so many cats and each one an individual! I felt I had a lot to live up to all at once. But I am new to her as she is to me.

Things are going well, we are getting to know one another. It is actually very special and nice.

So true it is the illness speaking.

I thank you all so much for the encouragement. She is lying here on my lap dribbling on the keyboard. What could be better.:D

Annie0904
11-10-13, 20:14
Oh I am so happy to hear this :) I have just come away for the weekend and missing my kitties already :(

Fishmanpa
11-10-13, 20:28
I give you and her about 24 hours and all will be well. Cats know cat people and she'll sense that in you I'm sure. How much you wanna bet she curls up with you the first night? :)

I have a Pixie Bob myself...

Tessar
11-10-13, 20:58
Awwwwwwww lilac, I am so pleased about your new kitty company. And also that you have given such a lovely sounding cat a new home, a second chance. She will be happy with you I am sure. I remember when we got our new cat, just a few months go, I felt a real mixture of feelings. Not least that I was somehow being unfaithful to our previous cat who was truly adorable (& she was my friend through my therapy and some rough times). We were devastated to lose her but it is lonely in a house without a cat isn't it? That's why I am pleased you have a new friend. Because you can share good times with her. It might seem strange in the first days but you will get there. Your instincts will kick in I am sure. And congratulations.

Edie
11-10-13, 21:57
Sounds like she's settling in really well. Sitting on your lap already is lovely!