PDA

View Full Version : Is starting meds really that bad?

jayjoe18
07-10-13, 13:45
I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to get started on medication but I'm starting to get really scared about it now. I've read many stories as we all probably have (more negative) and I'm really worried about it. Is it really that bad to start up on SSRI meds? Are the side effects really that awful or is it mostly down to anxiety that we feel so bad? My anxiety is mostly social and surrounding going out, I don't have anxiety in the form that it's there when I wake and all day like with GAD (unless there are social situations that worry me or old health anxieties). But does that even matter? Do you just get side effects regardless of what kind of anxiety you have? My anxiety is really bad even though it comes and goes, I have no life and can't get out anymore. I'm practically agoraphobic. And this has been ongoing for 8 years. Do we just hear more of the negative stuff rather than positive or is it that taking them is really as bad as you hear?

I can feel myself wanting to back out already but I know the next day I'll want to take them. My mind is changing every minute, I'm so scared :(

I'm planning on asking for Lexapro by the way as I hear this has milder side effects?

perseverence
07-10-13, 14:20
Hi JJ of course medication is not that awful,there is nothing wrong in taking them,if you have an headache you would take a tablet wouldn't you,try not to worry to much my friend,it will be OK.:)

NoPoet
07-10-13, 15:15
It was bad for me as I focused way too much on the side effects (which admittedly were very strong), but I had no defence mechanisms, my way of thinking was very negative and I already had bad anxiety. This is the way most people are when they start meds, and most people are not prepared for the strangeness of the side effects.

It mostly comes down to state of mind. If you are prepared to continue with your life as if nothing is happening, regardless of whatever side effects might appear, and refuse to surrender to fear, you will come through it and you'll wonder why so many people have bad experiences.

The stage you're at is the toughest stage in anxiety/depression. If you can handle it as well as any side effects and remain positive and motivated, that's a sure sign that you will be able to turn the illness around and recover permanently.

Edie
07-10-13, 16:15
SSRIs are really widely used precisely because they are well tolerated by most people who take them. You've got to remember that people don't come to a support forum to ask for advice if it all goes swimmingly - you only normally post if there are difficulties.

It's unlikely you'll get no side effects at all. The most common ones are mild headaches, tummy upsets, tiredness, or disturbed sleep (which may impact the time of day you take it). They tend to pass within 2 weeks. The other common one is increased anxiety for a week or so. Ironically, this is actually a sign they are working as they should and will soon start to improve your anxiety. So don't be afraid if this happens. Give it time and things will get better.

Hopefully Lexapro will go well for you and soon you will find your anxiety more bearable to live with. Good luck!

debs71
07-10-13, 17:53
Hi jayjoe,

I think that meds are a bit like that hurdle that you just have to get over, but with the assurity that you will feel way better once you are over it.

I do understand your fears. I had the same when starting them the first time years ago, and again this time (I restarted meds 2 weeks ago)

I'm not gonna lie. There are side effects, but the worst one for me and for the majority when reading the inside leaflet for Escitalopram (Cipralex here - Lexapro in the US) is feeling sick/nausea. That does kick in pretty soon after taking them, both the first time I took them and this time. I also experienced a reduced appetite. Mentally wise, it CAN (but not always) increase your anxiety slightly,and sometimes you feel a bit spaced out, but this is NOT permanent!!! It is just that your brain is adjusting to the meds, and the increased levels of Serotonin. It is a good sign if anything that the meds are doing exactly what they are supposed to do, to reduce the anxiety/depression/panic and stabilise things for you.

How you react to the meds can also be very subjective and individual. My Dad for instance started on 20mg of Cipralex from the get-go, and yet experienced NO side effects at all. I think he must have a iron-clad stomach, lol.

Please try not to be scared of the meds. I think it is worth asking yourself 'now which is worse? Starting the meds and a few side effects, and addressing the anxiety, or living the way I am now with the anxiety, and with the horrible fear it brings?'

Try not to see them as a burden. See them as something that is gonna help you in the long run.x:hugs:

Hayley1982
07-10-13, 17:59
Meds aren't that scary u will be fine I promise. Thay can take about 4-6 weeks to kick in. To start with u might feel a little bit more anxious but it does ease.
I'm on mirtazapine and finding them ok so far no awful side effects.
Let us know what meds ur doctor gives u and good luck with them.
Take care xxx

jayjoe18
13-10-13, 18:08
Thanks everyone for your replies, it's really helped me. I keep re-reading when I get nervous about it! I hope I can be strong going into this... my plan is to just take it and not think about it. I just hope the side effects aren't too awful so that I can do this.

I'm going to the doctors on Tuesday morning so I will let you all know how it goes...

Wish me luck and thanks again for your help x

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Hi jayjoe,

I think that meds are a bit like that hurdle that you just have to get over, but with the assurity that you will feel way better once you are over it.

I do understand your fears. I had the same when starting them the first time years ago, and again this time (I restarted meds 2 weeks ago)

I'm not gonna lie. There are side effects, but the worst one for me and for the majority when reading the inside leaflet for Escitalopram (Cipralex here - Lexapro in the US) is feeling sick/nausea. That does kick in pretty soon after taking them, both the first time I took them and this time. I also experienced a reduced appetite. Mentally wise, it CAN (but not always) increase your anxiety slightly,and sometimes you feel a bit spaced out, but this is NOT permanent!!! It is just that your brain is adjusting to the meds, and the increased levels of Serotonin. It is a good sign if anything that the meds are doing exactly what they are supposed to do, to reduce the anxiety/depression/panic and stabilise things for you.

How you react to the meds can also be very subjective and individual. My Dad for instance started on 20mg of Cipralex from the get-go, and yet experienced NO side effects at all. I think he must have a iron-clad stomach, lol.

Please try not to be scared of the meds. I think it is worth asking yourself 'now which is worse? Starting the meds and a few side effects, and addressing the anxiety, or living the way I am now with the anxiety, and with the horrible fear it brings?'

Try not to see them as a burden. See them as something that is gonna help you in the long run.x:hugs:

Hi debs, thanks for this!
And thanks for clearing the names up for me haha, I kept reading 'Lexapro' 'Cipralex' and didn't know which one to refer to. Also then getting it mixed up with Citalopram... very confusing! I know now what the name is here so my GP will hopefull know what I'm talking about :)

Wow, your dad is amazing! I was prescribed Prozac 20mg last year and I'm glad I didn't take them at the time, from what I understand it's quite a high starting dose!! Don't think I should of been prescribed that much to start with concidering I'm so scared of meds in the first place!

If you don't mind me asking, one of the main things I worry about is the nausea/sickness... I know it's different for everyone but how sick do they make you feel? Is it just a little quesy/nauseous feeling or is it real sickness that you would get with a sick bug, that feeling like your going to vomit? And is there anything you can do to ease it?

Jasmin xx

debs71
13-10-13, 18:33
Hi debs, thanks for this!
And thanks for clearing the names up for me haha, I kept reading 'Lexapro' 'Cipralex' and didn't know which one to refer to. Also then getting it mixed up with Citalopram... very confusing! I know now what the name is here so my GP will hopefull know what I'm talking about :)

Wow, your dad is amazing! I was prescribed Prozac 20mg last year and I'm glad I didn't take them at the time, from what I understand it's quite a high starting dose!! Don't think I should of been prescribed that much to start with concidering I'm so scared of meds in the first place!

If you don't mind me asking, one of the main things I worry about is the nausea/sickness... I know it's different for everyone but how sick do they make you feel? Is it just a little quesy/nauseous feeling or is it real sickness that you would get with a sick bug, that feeling like your going to vomit? And is there anything you can do to ease it?

Jasmin xx

Hi Hun,

I know exactly what you mean! The drug names and brands can get very confusing.

Yep, I'm amazed at my Dad too. He has suffered with anxiety for years, and was on beta blockers for many, many years, and they really didn't help him too much. He was unable to drive alone his anxiety and panic was so bad, bless him. Only recently he has started SSRI drugs, and he says they are a miracle drug for him. He now drives alone, and has no anxiety symptoms at all, and as I mentioned, had no side effects. It is really perplexing to me, and I must admit I'm a wee bit jealous! I hate the side effects, but I suppose his case shows that it isn't always necessarily so about reacting badly to starting meds.

As far as the sickness goes, please try not to worry too much about it.

I personally (both times I started Cipralex) just FELT nauseous, and had not much appetite at all, but I never actually vomited. Just a very queasy feeling that puts you off food is how I would describe it. It does come and go too, and definitely gets better the further into taking the meds you go.

I have been taking antacids at the same time because I also get acid reflux, and I think this has helped me a bit with the nausea. There are also over the counter meds like Motilium10 which helps with nausea (I was prescribed it for my IBS)

I will say that the nausea, although uncomfortable, isn't long-lasting and does pass.

Hope you are ok today Jasmin.X:hugs:

Rennie1989
13-10-13, 18:36
My tip is to not read the side effects of the medication and take it blind. I did both, when I read the side effects I got them all, when I didn't I noticed a few subtle changes but nothing more than that. People have different experiences of side effects, to me they were just annoying at the most, I barely noticed them most of the time.