PDA

View Full Version : New Job Stress!

Jacsta
07-10-13, 16:50
Hi all

Some of you know that I recently qualified as a nurse after 3 long hard years of tears, stress and anxiety. It is my best life achievement so far and I really am proud.

So I started my new job a week ago on a hospital ward, and surprising to me I seem to be on a bit of a downer.....Surely its not good to dread work in the first week! I have concluded that my "blip" is down to me putting too much pressure on myself, and most probably expecting far too much of myself....afterall I have never worked in this hospital before, never worked in this type of ward....so there are lots of things to learn.

My irrational depressey/anxious self doubts my abilities, and feel like I'm in way over my head. My logical self keeps saying these feelings will pass and I'll get more confident as time goes by....and yes I believe this, but it doesn't stop the feeling crap at the moment.

So.....any tips on getting through this transitional phase? I shall continue to argue with myself and slap myself, but just wondered if anyone else has new job stressbuster tips!

Many Thanks

Jac

celticlass62
07-10-13, 17:21
Hi jacsta good luck i9n your new job hunny .
i hope everything works out for you and you will be a brilliant nurse.
lots and lots of love to you
celticlass xxxx:hugs::hugs:

sophieunderscore
07-10-13, 17:32
Sorry you're feeling down hun, and you will get through this, we'll make sure of it. When I was stressed with work I would always have a shower as soon as I got home to wash away the day, got changed out of my "work clothes" and then watched TV or something to distract myself, have some chocolate, or a glass of wine, or treat yourself to something really nice for tea. Just keep going, you'll be amazed at how soon you'll feel at home xxxx

Annie0904
07-10-13, 17:33
The first few weeks in any new job are never easy, you will soon get used to the new job and then will be more relaxed again. Take time to relax when you are at home so you are not putting too much pressure on yourself. Like Celticlass said, you will be a brilliant nurse :)

Jacsta
07-10-13, 17:37
Thanks all. I tend to have a shower when I come in anyway (13hrs rushing around a busy ward = smelly feet) and I try to relax but I think that's where I'm tripping up.

I've never been good at switching off unless I'm asleep, so even now I've been home after training for 2 hours and I'm thinking I should be reading up on this that and the other. I've joined the gym as well so I'm hoping that will help toward the work life balance.

As I said earlier, I know the feelings will pass, I just hope they do soon as each day is getting worse...not better. The funny thing is, my new colleagues and my patients are all lovely and helpful...I really have nothing to worry about!

Edie
07-10-13, 17:39
Congratulations on qualifying, and on your new job!

Anything new can be anxiety-making. I think you're right about putting too much pressure on yourself. You're new and there is a lot to learn, so you're not going to know everything straight away, and your boss won't expect you to either. If you've got concerns, you could always have a quick chat with your boss, ask whether you're getting on OK, are you picking it up fast enough, or is there anything they'd like you to improve on. Then you'll know, but the answer will probablly be that you're doing just great.

Just remember you got the job because your employer thought you could do it. They don't employ people without being pretty certain, and they are experienced in selecting applicants. So you are almost certainly capable of doing a good job.

The only tip I can think of is just take things one day at a time. You will build confidence in time, but until then just focus on today and don't worry about anything more than that.