PDA

View Full Version : Pelvis / hips out of alignment?

Blueflare
08-10-13, 19:03
This might sound odd, but bear with me...

For well over a year I've had lots of very low abdominal pain. I've had ultrasounds etc and there's nothing serious wrong with me, which is good of course. They are monitoring an ovarian cyst but it's a little one and they don't think it's causing any problems, and that wasn't even there for the first ultrasound anyway.

However, it occurs to me that maybe I get pain because my skeleton is not symmetrical. If I sit on a flat surface chair, you can see that my right knee sticks out a centimetre further than my left knee. If I stand up perfectly straight, also my right hip and right thigh are further forward than the left. When I sit down in armchairs I always have to sit against the left arm of the chair, if I sit in the middle it's extremely uncomfortable and really hard to stop myself falling over to the left! This is not just the chairs in my house lol, it's like that in all chairs. If I sit cross legged, the right calf has to be in front of left calf, if I try the other way it makes my right leg go numb. My right hip aches quite often.
My back is straight so it's not like scoliosis.

So! My questions are, does this matter? Does it really affect anything? Will it get worse?

I used to go jogging (years ago now lol) but I couldn't keep it up because I got terrible pain in my knees and hips... the impact of the full weight of my body on my joints was doing it. (Not that I'm heavy lol, my BMI is 22.) I can walk a long way with no trouble because when walking the weight is better distributed I guess. Maybe the reason running/jogging hurts was because I'm not really symmetrical, so the strain was too much?

It's practically impossible to get doctor's appointements at all anymore where I live, so I'm not going for something that's not important. I don't mind if it causes me a little pain, I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse somehow. That is my only real concern: what if they get more out of alignment in future? If that can happen then I should seek treatment now?

P.S. I'm 23, generally pretty healthy, quite active though I don't do any sports/gym stuff.

NoPoet
08-10-13, 21:05
Pain in the low abdomen might be the grumblings of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), the constant companion of many people with anxiety issues. Consider your diet and try drinking more water over the next few weeks to stay hydrated, avoid spicy food and takeaways, eat fruit instead of chocolate/sugary snacks etc. You've had scans and medical advice, so if you continue to worry too much about this, you're worrying for nothing.

As for your body not being in perfect symmetry, you'd probably notice if there was some kind of alignment problem, for example it might affect the way you walk. You'd probably have known years ago if there was going to be an issue with this.