PDA

View Full Version : Daily Mail finally shoots itself...unfortunately it survives!

Bramwell
08-10-13, 19:39
So, the Daily Mail (UK mid-range tabloid), which every week without fail demonizes anti-depressants and ALL those taking them - and recommends 'Talking Therapies' as the only way for everyone to live (mainly it seems because it's apparently cheaper), finally trips itself up today by, on page 38, telling us that (once more) 'Happy Pills' esp SSRIs severely affect your sex-drive, and you'd be better off with longer-term counselling. (And don't forget, THIS type of article appears EVERY SINGLE WEEK of the year).:ohmy::mad:
But, on page 5, it has the story of a 12 years old Briton stuck in the Middle East for the last 12 months because of his phobia of flying. Well now, after a cost of £40-grand for accommodation for himself and dad for a year etc, and the free help of a British hypnotist the poor lad finally gets back to Blighty.
Now, I don't have a degree in economics, but wouldn't half-a-dozen carefully prescribed Diazepam 5mg tablets have been quicker and a heck of a lot cheaper??:whistles:

Emphyrio
08-10-13, 19:51
The Daily Mail is only fit for use as bog roll on the best of days, but I cringe every time they have articles on antidepressants. Every single article has the phrase 'happy pills' in there somewhere - they don't give diabetes/epilepsy medication such stupid titles.

Rennie1989
08-10-13, 20:10
I don't think that medication would suit a 12 year old but I see your point. I only read credible sources regarding mental health and treatment because tabloids just get it sooooo wrong. Yesterday The Sun published '1,200 killed by mental patients' and it just boils my blood, not to mention that they got their figures wrong and the percentage of homicides committed by those with mental health problems is 5% overall.

Tabloids do nothing but scaremonger and feed idiots false information.

Emphyrio
08-10-13, 21:06
Yesterday The Sun published '1,200 killed by mental patients' and it just boils my blood, not to mention that they got their figures wrong and the percentage of homicides committed by those with mental health problems is 5% overall.

And what these papers never tell you is that people with mental health problems are more likely to be a victim of violence than the general population as a whole.

I guess we have a long way to come before we can get rid of mental health stigma and misinformation. I don't know if anyone posted a thread about this but just a couple of weeks ago Tesco and Asda were selling a 'mental patient fancy dress costume.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24278768

Anxious_gal
08-10-13, 22:49
Seditives don't work when you're very anxious. They will not let on a plane if you're not alert. If you appear to be sleepy, sedated, not alert they won't let you fly.

harasgenster
08-10-13, 23:48
Talking therapies are definitely more expensive than antidepressants. That's why so many people are on antidepressants and there's such a long waiting list for talking therapies. Antidepressants definitely have their place, but it is widely accepted that talking therapies are the real cure.

Saying that, I hate the Daily Mail. At the moment I hate the Sun more, though. I thought I could not be influenced by mental health stigma after having suffered from mental health disorders for most of my life, but it wasn't until I read that most schizophrenia patients make a full recovery that I found out people with schizophrenia aren't necessarily locked up in institutions with strait jackets on and they are perfectly normal people with some problems. I was in my 20s when I read that and I felt really ashamed that I was so ignorant about mental health.

The level of stigma against mental health in this country is ridiculous considering just how many people need to use mental health services. I hope that the Time to Change campaign makes a real difference.

Pete_uk
10-10-13, 11:14
The Daily Mail is only fit for use as bog roll on the best of days

I wouldn't dirty my backside with that rag!

Otter13
10-10-13, 11:35
My mother asked me to get her a mail once when I went shopping. I refused. I won't even be seen buying it for someone else and I don't think she should read it anyway. :P
I recently attended a group therapy for childhood sexual abuse and it was really helpful. Unfortunately, due to the cuts, the group will no longer run leaving people who need help with no form of talky therapy in my area. Maybe the daily mail could fund it. Its definitely needed with the current news being such a trigger for that kind of thing!

steveo
10-10-13, 12:16
No that's a very valid point... Diazepam would of worked great!

I don't give the daily mail time of day. It's right wing horse manure. For all I care it could say that everyone with depression or anxiety is a terrorist and a drain on the NHS and I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Same goes for nearly all UK media apart from the BBC news website which holds more credibility.

Andria24
10-10-13, 18:34
The Daily Mail. I think Viz has more credibility.

Kells81
10-10-13, 18:37
I don't think diazapam would have worked. When my panic is too bad my diazapam will do nothing for me. It was also a 10 hr flight so if diazapam did work it would wear off mid air.

almamatters
10-10-13, 18:49
I dislike the Daily Mail , I cannot stand the way it enjoys scaremongering and generally contradicting itself. I don't read newspapers at all anymore as they increase my anxiety.

steveo
11-10-13, 10:24
I don't think diazapam would have worked. When my panic is too bad my diazapam will do nothing for me. It was also a 10 hr flight so if diazapam did work it would wear off mid air.

Enough of the right Benzo, taken BEFORE the flight and not during panic would of worked. Taking a diazepam whilst being anxious is fairly useless as it takes 40minutes for the effects to be felt. By that time we have naturally calmed down anyway.

Also, on a ten hour flight, it's more than possible to keep taking medication every 3 hours or so. This is a one off situation so it would of been fine.

Lorazepam given intravenously would of worked. I used to be a nurse and when I did a placement in the sigmoidoscopy department, for anyone who didn't want to be awake during the procedures would be given lorazepam intravenously and there wasn't a single patient that didn't work on ever. It just sends them into a nice deep sleep but safely and without shutting down areas of the body like a general anesthetic.

Bramwell
11-10-13, 22:21
Interesting replies, you Peeps! :yesyes:
Personally, I don't have, and have never had, 40-grand swilling around in my bank account for year-long accom in the Middle east, nor a friendly hypno to do the deed through a nine hour flight.
So, it would be a Temezepam the night before (1 at least), a 5mg Diaz on wake-up, and monitor progress throughout the flight.
On a side note, maybe the Daily Mail could pay for everyone of us who've EVER taken an A/D or Tranx to travel to Dignitas and have done with it...apparently we're ALL useless.
A simple statement: ' If 'Talking Therapies' work (I've done CBT twice), how come people STILL have depression??

Have fun Peeps. x

Rennie1989
12-10-13, 15:27
Bramwell - because depression can be triggered by hormones or chemical reactions in the brain. People get SAD because the lack of sunlight doesn't release enough happy and 'waking up' hormones. Talking therapies gives you the tools to break through depression, and anxiety, it doesn't cure it alone.

Bramwell
12-10-13, 21:51
...Talking therapies gives you the tools to break through depression, and anxiety, it doesn't cure it alone.

Ren - Tell this to the Daily Mail. They are convinced, given their weekly attack on drugs, that all anyone needs is basically a good talking-to. I'm not trying to be flippant either. :hugs: