PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin and weight gain?

Otter13
09-10-13, 13:51
Hi, I've just started pregabalin at 150 a day (50x3 times a day). So far I'm just feeling like a bit of a space cadet and not had any really nasty side effects. I have read in other places that the weight gain can be severe. Has anyone experienced this?
I have been losing weight through careful eating so I am used to feeling a little hungry and have been thinking my way through it with thoughts like 'when I feel hungry I am losing weight'.
Do you think it is just an increased appetite thing or does it slow down the metabolism somehow?
If it's just increased appetite I think I can handle it. :)
I'm also a little concerned that it might affect my cognitive skills. I am in the middle of an open university course so it would be a bad time to get stupid!
I'm really hoping this will work out as i have been feeling physically ill with the effect of anxiety and stress.
Thank you for any replies and advice. :)

Otter13
10-10-13, 10:21
Oh great. I've woken up with eczema on my face already. I must be allergic to one of the things they use to bulk or coat some tablets because mirtazepine did the same thing to me. So depressing. :(

hanshan
10-10-13, 10:54
Hello Otter,

Sorry to hear about the eczema. It may be caused by the pregabalin or associated fillers or coatings, but it might be too early to make a definite conclusion. If it is the cause, however, there is also an oral liquid pregabalin available, which might help avoid the reaction.

Pregabalin is definitely associated with weight gain. I think I saw a figure of 5 kg gain in two years in one report, which is significant - around five to ten per cent of body weight, which is effectively all fat.

I'm taking two drugs associated with weight gain - mirtazapine and pregabalin. I don't know the exact reason for the weight gain due to these drugs, whether it's a change in appetite, or a change in metabolism or the way the body processes food.

What's worked for me in keeping the weight off has been keeping a record of everything I eat and drink during the day along with approximate calorie counts. If I stop doing that, the weight starts going back up.

As for pregabalin making you stupid, it has had that effect on some people, so it's something to keep in mind. For me, it keeps me calm when anxiety would previously have interfered with and disrupted me, so I feel much better off.

Otter13
10-10-13, 11:16
Thank you so much for the reply hanshan. :) I have taken an anti histamine to see if that will help. It's a little depressing because the only two meds that have actually made me feel better without some hideous side effect have given me eczema. I did discuss alternative forms of mirtazepine with my psych and hopefully she has sent a letter to my doc about it. I think I will give this a week and see if it settles down, if not I will make an appt with my doc and see what they say about alternate forms to try.
I have been doing a careful eating thing and have lost over half a stone in 3 months so hopefully I can keep that under control.
It's great to hear that you feel you can think more clearly with the help for anxiety. I have been having trouble concentrating when very stressed so hopefully this will actually help not hinder.
Thank you again for the reply. Really helpful! :D

Otter13
11-10-13, 11:53
Day four of pregabalin and I definitely less stressed. I had a really bunged up nose last night and the eczema is still spreading on my face although anti histamines and aloe vera moisturiser are keeping the itching down. I wonder if I will have to make a choice between eczema and brain crushing anxiety. It's annoying that it's on my face, if it was somewhere that didn't show I wouldn't mind :(

SarahH
11-10-13, 20:30
Sorry to hear about your skin reaction....I hope it settles down soon.

I think for me that yes I have put on a bit of weight and yes I feel less "sharp" with my cognitive skills but for me the pay off is controlled anxiety...so I am happy to be a little heavier and a bit thick:D

Edie
13-10-13, 11:32
I've been taking pregabalin for about 2 months now and I have put on only a small amount of weight. I don't know the amount in weight, but one pair of jeans that was already rather tight, I cannot get them done up any more, so they are having to go to the charity shop! As long as it doesn't get too much, I feel that weight gain would be a fair price to pay for reducung my anxiety.

I haven't had cognitive problems. I'm actually better able to concentrate with reduced stress/anxiety levels, better able to remember things, and using my time more productively. So hopefully it will have a good effect for you.

Hope you can find a way to deal with the excema!

Otter13
14-10-13, 14:57
Thank you for the replies folks. I'm hoping I can stay on top of the weight thing with my 'smarter food choices' thing that I've been doing. I've gone down 3 whole notches on my belt in the last 6 months. :D

Day 7 and the skin reaction seems to have settled, I'm still quite snotty so it seems like a hay fever type allergy. I'm taking anti histamines and that helps.

But the best thing is... I a bit feel better! Obviously there are still issues. I have other mental health stuff besides the anxiety, but I feel quite a bit less stressed already. I'm really hoping this med works out because I'm really sensitive to side effects and have tried tons of stuff over the last year.

Thanks again folks. :D

hanshan
15-10-13, 12:08
Congratulations on the three belt notches down. I hope people have been making favorable comments. If you can keep up a similar regime, you should be able to avoid pregabalin weight gain. My advice would be to monitor it closely (ie weigh yourself every week or so - I know it sounds horrible) until you feel confident with how you are going. This is based on what works for me, but everyone is different, and other opinions are more than welcome.

It's great to hear that you are feeling better. Hopefully, the allergic reaction will clear. A lot of pregabalin's side effects disappear after a week or two.