PDA

View Full Version : Terrified about colonoscopy upcoming

getting ridic
09-10-13, 20:59
Hi

I am new here (first post) though not new to HA. I have had sever constipation for a few years now-off and on in severity. I have gone through a very bad patch in the last while and have had bright red blood on the paper and at times at the sides of the stool (TMI!!) for many many months. I am terrified. I also at times have bouts of abdominal pain and cramping. Went to the DR who felt it was likely lazy bowel but did want to do tests and so I have a scope booked Oct 25th. I also have heartburn that is new within the last months.

I am reaching that state of panic where I can't work, think of or do anything else. I know better than to Dr Google but of course I did. Found many articles of young women such as myself who have been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer with less symptoms than what I have.

I am to the point where I am having a hard time functioning. Can't sleep and wake up at 3:00 every morning terrified.

I am scared that if I do have something-how will I cope without driving everyone I love crazy? What if I do have cancer-how to people with HA cope when they do get sick. It must happen

Not sure if I should try to get anxiety medication to get through the next couple of weeks.

Seems everyone has a story of someone very young getting bowel cancer..

On the verge of sheer panic...

Thank you

As background I am a 38 year old woman. Healthy except for history of anoroxia nervosa and anxiety and depression.

nomorepanic
09-10-13, 21:00
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Speranza
10-10-13, 08:18
Hi Sweetheart, if you already have meds, then talk to the doctor about whether to take them (do you usually not need them?)

It is normal to be feeling this anxious but it isn't going to help., so whatever techniques you call on to deal with anxiety, use them now. Go for lots of walks, say hello to people, sit in cafes and watch other people and wonder about their lives...

Soon you will know what is wrong. I can't say 'it isn't anything serious' but I CAN tell you there are LOADS of 'not very serious' things it could be.

Sending you lots of love. x