PDA

View Full Version : Should I be on cipralex?

Whelsea
10-10-13, 05:01
Hi guys,

Alright. So I have never had any sort of anxiety or panic attack in my life. That was, up until I had surgery exactly one month ago.

I was put under general anesthesia, and had a minor surgery. Everything went fine. I spent a lot of time alone after surgery as my fiancé works out of town, and about 2 weeks afterward I began to experience bad anxiety and panic attacks, which caused me to end up in the emergency room twice. My fiancé left work to come and be with me, I felt I was getting better, and then he left and it got worse. I am now on stress else from work, and have been prescribed cipralex. I'm going to take some time off to be with him while we try and figure out where to go from here.

I have taken 5 mg of cipralex for only 6 days now. Being with him and his family has made me feel so much better, and I haven't had any "attacks" in 5 days now.

Should I be on this medication??? I'm strongly considering not taking the 10 mg pill tomorrow ( as I'm now supposed to up my dose) because I think I've just realized that this may not be a long term issue? I've been feeling better before the pills even have had a chance to kick in. I've heard about bad side effects coming off of these drugs and wonder if I should try the natural approach? Any advice?

steveo
10-10-13, 12:11
Personally.... if you feel you don't need it, then don't take it.

Medication does work great for the majority of people, but it also comes with some annoying side effects. I don't think anti depressants should be prescribed merely after a short blip of anxiety as I think everyone in their life gets blips.

For the majority of us on this site, we have a long term condition and we simply can't cope with medication, let alone without!

I can give it a go without before taking the plunge into the strange world of Antidepressants.

Best of luck. We are here if you need us! x

karenp
12-10-13, 09:00
I'd agree, if you don't need it don't take it and you can always restart it if you feel you do afterwards. Hugs Karen xxx

Whelsea
14-10-13, 20:54
Thanks guys. I did stop taking cipralex after 6 days at 5 mg per day. I am still feeling anxious, but I think it's coming from certain situations, like the fact that I've been alone so much lately since my fiancé is working out of town. My mother has not been overly supportive which adds to my stress. I think it's time to weigh out all my options and consider moving to where he has work since he is my family and my future now! I just wish I could have some more support from my parents but I guess at the end of the day I have to do what's best for me right! Thanks for your advice