PDA

View Full Version : ocd with religion on the mind

I'mdave27
10-10-13, 10:56
I'm constantly thinking about religion which one I want to join and the thoughts never stop even after I've chosen one , this is madness. I will choose Christianity then I'd start thinking about the evils people have committed in the name of Christianity so I choose being a muslim , I feel this one really strongly , then I'd do the same I did with Christianity. So in the end I don't choose a religion I end up choosing satanism but then I end up thinking that's dark so I find myself back to square one , which I really hate , this just makes me more confused. I want to not believe in anything but my mind won't let me for some reason so can you help ?

nosweat
10-10-13, 20:41
Do you know why you feel so compelled to have to find a religion? That might be a good place to start with a therapist. It might be some form of OCD that you are dealing with. If you could stop thinking about it, your problem would be resolved. :) It sounds like you are definitely obsessing.

gypcyg
10-10-13, 22:45
Goodness is already within you - I'd follow nosweat's advice and try to discover why you feel it is important that you must find a religion.

Remember if you do join a religion then you are tied to their dogmas and beliefs - Why not communicate with God directly? Apparently he/she is everywhere so he/she will hear you.

emmelyne
11-10-13, 00:28
Religion and faith are two separate things. I am fundamentally a Christian but I never focus on the "bad" things people do, but figures like Jesus and Paul inspire me to do more with my life, to show people kindness in the most remote of places. I think it's wonderful you're looking for your spirituality, but trust me it will come naturally to you. It's been found that humans tend to have a mindset that there is a spiritual entity out there whether that be God, Karma, Buddha or just a spiritual presence. Just find one you feel most comfortable with and embrace it as something good in your life. I guess you have to find what you think is moral and immoral in humanity and go from there. These aren't rules, just things my half asleep brain is putting out there :D

Some people find that the rituals or teachings from various religions put together satisfies them- perhaps you believe in one god but also love to meditate as it calms you. You don't have to be religious or have faith to be a moral or inspiring person.

Peace

I'mdave27
11-10-13, 12:53
I guess I like religion because to me it represents peace , happiness and being complete with yourself. Accepting Jesus as my saviour fills me with a deep sense of being complete with myself , the world and it also reminds me there is more to life then material possessions. I keep having this thought that we are born into this world to experience it in a physical body but during our experience we go through situations that we perceive as either bad or good , perception ruins alot of good experiences for us humans , so when we ready we go on a journey to return to Gods love. I could be wrong or I could be right , I'm not sure , I'll never know and that's why I'm confused about religion because I can't put my faith in something I don't know is real or not. Plus I find religious teachings to hard to stick like for example I love korn the band that wouldn't exactly fit in with God would it ?

Brunette
11-10-13, 15:08
I don't think you can pick and choose your religion in the way that you describe, especially if you "really" don't want to have a religion at all. All you've been doing so far is playing about, pretending to believe - that's not what faith is all about (and I speak as an atheist).

Why not read some Buddhist teachings? Buddhism is sometimes described as "religion for the non-religious", it's a personal journey which might give you some "spiritual" focus if that's what you feel you need in your life.

Good luck.

MaxieP
20-10-13, 10:09
What is the difference between religion and spirituality? Can you have one without the other?
Someone asked me if I wondered about turning to religion, but I have never been religious and can't really see me taking that path. However I have been attracted by the theories of Buddhism before, and wonder whether that might offer me hope.

October12
20-10-13, 20:16
Hi Dave,

From what I've learned about OCD, in particular intrusive thoughts that are unwanted, coupled with anxiety is a crafty our minds distract us from feeling the deeper feelings such as fear of loss, fear of abandonment, sadness, grief / the uncomfortable feelings. The world likes to teach us that we can't handle big feelings and must avoid them. We learn this practice to cover up and distract ourselves from truly feeling. Does this ring true for you? What feelings could the obsessive thoughts be trying to protect you from? Fear? Sadness? Uncertainty?

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

To help answer your question, spin it around: what would you tell your friend if they asked you such questions? Sometimes this helps us see the why behind the behavior or will shed light on perhaps a false belief.