PDA

View Full Version : Feeling guilty...

G.Samsa
11-10-13, 18:26
Hello all,

I've been feeling very anxious for the past couples of days and thought I might find some support on here.

I've been feeling really guilty about my anxiety - I have a friend who's recently moved to London. I'd love to visit her but don't feel at all able to at the moment. Another friend spoke to me about this and made me feel really terrible for not being willing to take the trip. I think she thought that the guilt might encourage me to do it, but instead I just feel even more anxious and less capable. I'm doing a degree at the moment and it seems to take all of my willpower to cope with continuing with it, the idea of getting the train to London just terrifies me! At the same time, I feel so guilty for not facing my fears and worried about how it will effect me in the future.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about how I can start to deal with this?

Jmac
11-10-13, 19:18
First and foremost, you've no need to feel guilty about anything. You're "friend" who is trying to guilt you into doing something clearly doesn't understand what you're going through.
there are lots of ways to deal with the anxiety. I'd start by researching options and talking to your healthcare advisors to make the best choice for you. As long as you commit to dealing with it and working through it, you needn't worry about the future. Stay in the here and now and take it one day at a time.
As far as your friends are concerned, let them know that you're not feeling yourself and offer to visit via Skype and/or when you're feeling better perhaps meet them half way. There are so many options open to you although I do understand that it can feel overwhelming. I've been there. I still struggle now and again but am gentle on myself while working throught the anxious feelings. Remember, that's all they are... just feelings. they can't hurt you.
Take care.

G.Samsa
11-10-13, 23:23
Thanks Jmac. I have been through a couple of different types of treatment. I'm currently on a low dose of paroxetine and I've seen counsellors before, which has been helpful, but I've only been able to get to the point where I can continue going to classes, getting work done etc. I've done some CBT with some success, but have found it hard to stick with. I've been thinking of going to see a CBT therapist - do you think this might help? Thanks again.