PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks while driving

2011laurenstiles
11-10-13, 22:00
Hi all I am new to this site but am so glad I have found this as I'm really suffering badly with panic attacks while driving!!! I usually drive on a dual carriage way and only few months back I had a really bad one (I have not suffered with these for years) I went doctors and they prescribed me with tablets but these are only to take half hour before my journey not everyday. I found a new route home so no need to take the tablets but we are now moving house and have to drive on motorway and am soooooo scared!!! I really don't want to rely on the tablets I want to over come this but am finding it hard to see tge end of this. The worst thing about having these panics are I usually have my 13 month old daughter in the car and its like my mind is telling me to crash on the road!!! (I was involved in a very bad car accident few years ago and lost 2 people very close to me) not sure if that has anything to do with it. Since finding the new route I'm fine but now thinking about having to drive for longer on a motorway is really scaring me and need some advise/help
Would really appreciate hearing from someone

Thanks Lauren

nomorepanic
11-10-13, 22:12
Hi and :welcome:

I moved your post to a new thread as it would get lost where you posted it

2011laurenstiles
11-10-13, 22:14
Thanks Nicola not sure how it all works x

almamatters
12-10-13, 06:52
Hi , I developed a fear of driving on dual carriageways and motorways a few years ago, my fear is getting stuck in a traffic jam, so in effect being 'trapped' I have to allow extra time for my journeys . Up until last year I was scared to drive at all due to my traffic jam fear but I used to go out a couple of times a week with a friend for support and just kind of faced the fear. Breathing techniques helped me a great deal, and distraction. I used to turn the radio up and force myself to concentrate on it. It did help.
There are special motorways driving lessons you can get, I was thinking of trying them at some point to help get me over this fear. Having the accident a few years ago must be having an effect on you (it would anybody) Did you ever have any therapy to help you?

By the way :welcome: to the forum. xx

Suziqs
12-10-13, 18:37
Hi and :welcome:

You must have been so traumatised being involved in such a tragic accident Lauren and I dont think anyone would expect you not to have these awful feelings but I agree with almatters, why dont you have a few lessons with a Pass Plus Instructor who is qualified to teach how to not only drive on motorways and fast traffic but react to different scenarios involved with such driving and of course you can start by telling the Instructor exactly what and how you feel about it, this will allow him/her to help you counteract and divert your anxiety

I wish you all the best and hope that this fantastic site allows you to see you are not alone hun

XxX

2011laurenstiles
12-10-13, 20:52
Hiya, thank you both for replying I really appreciate it, it's weird as in the morning I can drive on the motor way/dual carriage way but its always on my way home that I get them I think it's more when I'm tired to. I'm def going to have a few lessons with pass plus but again I think I will be fine as there is someone in the car it's always when I'm on my own. We are moving in next few weeks and I'm worrying so much about the journey back I just don't want this to run my life!!!! Also is it normal that when I'm having panics that horrible things go through my mind (such as crashing) it really is horrible. With being in a traffic jam I think I would prefer to be in one haha. I have been doctors think I will try out the tablets but don't want to rely on them. Would anyone recommend breathing exercises? Once again thank you guys for replying really means a lot xxxx

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Hi almamatters, thanks again for posting your reply, yes I tried therapy but didn't work for me at the time, they did say to me that it could take a long time for me to accept the whole accident which for a long time I have blocked it out and now thinking that these panics started from nothing but could be the accident coming out (but can't say for a fact) when you say breathing exercises what kind do you mean as I will try anything to help this. Xxxxx

Suziqs
12-10-13, 22:44
Maybe on your trip home your mind tends to go into autopilot especially after a day of work, your are having to work out what you having for tea, are you going to get there in time, is your baby not going to need anything before you get there - all of these things and many more are very much normal things, but when you are anxious then it allows the panic to rise until in the end you forget that you were just arranging your evening and now every little thing seems unbearable. Just a thought hun, but right now have to say my dog (which is 10 years old) is setting off mine (for absolutely no reason at all) because he is mithered because we have just got a cat (which is 2 years old) and his growling, barking and whining are actually causing me to get wound up, have to shut him out for a while, turn the telly off and sit in the quiet. I did have a physio who taught me to relax my shoulders and breath from below my lungs (watching my stomach go up and down) while my hands are on my knees and I am sat upright - that seems to work, but there again wouldnt advise taking your hands of the steering wheel, but maybe you can try that exercise at home and while driving just open the window slightly and relax your shoulders - hope that helps a bit :) xxx

2011laurenstiles
13-10-13, 20:37
Hi suzieqs, yeah I know what you mean I only work 2 days a week but even if I go and see my parents/friends which are all around where I work when I know it's time to go home I start to worry, but like I said before I do really think a lot to do with it is being tired (but there is nothing to help being tired) I have found a new route for now but that's defeating the object as I need to try and get better by middle of next month when I move house. Even my parents where saying maybe when you work stay at there's overnight and drive back in the morning (but then again that's not facing it head on that kinda dodging the situation) would you recommend to try the medication? How long have you been suffering from them? And what started them? The dog situation is that a new thing or has that happen for a bit now? Hope you have had a nice weekend xxxx

almamatters
13-10-13, 21:21
Hi Lauren, sorry should have explained myself a bit better, I meant that I do the slow deep breathing technique, I breathe in for 4 seconds slowly and then out again, it is just a way of instantly calming yourself down. This is good for me, as my breathing used to be very fast and shallow as soon as I ended up in a traffic jam which just added to the general feeling of panic. xx

jared
15-10-13, 05:24
My anxiety and panic attacks STARTED with long drives, which puzzles me because I have always enjoyed them. I got a job commuting 45 minutes one way and the anxiety started about six months into the job because I was driving at night; and now the anxiety has been bothering me ever since. I no longer work at that job and found something closer but I still live with it. More often than not I must have my wife drive when we go longer distances than 20 miles. It sucks but if you can make changed to cope with it then that's the best. God bless you and your daughter!

booju
02-11-13, 22:17
Hi Lauren,
Don't know if you'll see this - just wanted to say I totally understand your anxiety about driving & I think it's definitely related to the crash you were in. I'm currently having CBT for PTSD / anxiety related to a crash I had in February (I spun out on the motorway at 70mph in snow & miraculously only hit the barrier - me & my 9 month old baby in the car) If you lost 2 people close to you in a crash then it makes total sense you are having panic attacks while driving. Like you, I've been determined not to let the fear conquer me & started driving a few weeks after the crash (as soon as I got another car) but started to panic in bad weather. I've gradually built up my confidence again BUT only on smaller roads - I find the motorway terrifying & avoid it wherever possible. The CBT therapist advocates taking it slowly but is pro gradual exposure, ie not avoiding doing it as this confirms to your mind that the thing (eg driving on the M-way) is v dangerous & makes the fear worse. i can see her point but I cannot seem to stop the panic coming when I'm driving on the M-way (or being driven) The CBT method would be to do it more often so that gradually, you get used to it & realise it's ok. So for you to reduce anxiety, you would drive on the M-way a bit at a time and ideally without your baby in the car as this may be making you more anxious due to the responsibility of keeping her safe. It sounds like you've been doing absolutely everything you can so far & I'm sure you will manage the new route, even if it takes time, that's ok - I have the same fear about driving in the snow as well & now it's winter I'm getting really anxious about the weather. ( I live in rural Scotland where it snows every year -aaargh!

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Oops - posted by accident! Sorry for the lengthy reply & I hope you manage ok with the new route. Ps breathing techniques can help. Also positive visualisation of you arriving at your destination safely xx

dw2121
03-11-13, 16:54
I can totally related to you, i used to love driving used to get in the car with music on and just drive anywhere, now though i dread it i dont think i could cope on the motorway, i had a terrible panic attack where i had to pull over and i was convinced i was going to die right there and then in the car. A few years back i had pins and needles running through my arm and was having a massive panic attack, was convinced i was having a heart attack so i rang an ambulance had to pull over and wait for them, had ECG and another test that they say usually costs a few hundred pounds, everything came back fine but i dread it still, even in traffic i dread being trapped in the car, im started to get to the point now i just laugh at the anxiety it seems to calm me down but its still early days.