PDA

View Full Version : Acrophobia - Fear of Heights + getting worse

GBFast
12-10-13, 20:11
Hi folks,

I have been having a particularly stressful period in my life and it has caused one of my pre-existing phobias to the fore again: fear of heights.

My fear is not from childhood. I woud have been cautious of heights but did, for example, try abseiling on an outward-bound course and remember going to the top of Blackpool Tower.

My severe phobia stems from a near-death experience 15 years ago. I got up onto a low part of the city walls in Montpellier in France, only to be up there and realise that there was at least a 50 feet exposed drop onto to a motor way below. I froze to the spot, and thankfully got down on the safe side!

Apart from realising I had a very lucky escape, I didn't think much more about it after that until about a year later when I was on a tourist monorail and got off on a bridge. I had a flashback to the incident in Montpellier and was rooted to the spot by a panic attack, felt I was losing control of my mind and how was I going to get down from the bridge without falling or jumping. I eventually clung-on and waited for the next train to come and 'rescue' me and i got off safely at a stop at a low level.

Since then, I have been unable to walk across all but the shortest and lowest of bridges (if they are above water, it's not SO bad), use exposed stair-cases or escalators, use upper levels in shopping centres (which are now so keen on open-plan arrangements), be close to open windows in even averagely high buildings, etc. The fear is that I will be attracted over the edge.

This is actually incredibly restricting.

I did try hypnotherapy some years ago, but it had minimal positive effect. If I do happen to be in a higher place that I can tolerate, it really has to be with someone who knows me who understands and will let me hold onto them.

I see people standing on balconies 10, 15, 20 and more storeys above, even doing things like being in hot air balloons, and just marvel at them.

I know this is a relatively common phobia, but would be keen to hear from other sufferers about their experiences, how they cope, and whether any of you have been able to do anything to help.

Thanks so much.

Gavin.