PDA

View Full Version : long time lurker...

gla
13-10-13, 04:55
...eventual poster :)

Hi,

I don't really know what to say; I'm not very good at this sort of thing. Its 4.30am as I start typing this, and I am feeling quite desperate.

I've had issues with anxiety/depression since my teens - its always struck me as strange, as I don't really know where it has stemmed from. In some way I've always felt disconnected from the world, and unable to fit in (but this could be just symptomatic of depression, I cannot work it out). I've had about three 'major' periods of depression, where it sort of left me reeling and became noticeable to others that something was up, and I wanted it all to just end. But most of the time its something I can cover up.

I'm starting to feel though, that another dark phase is closing in, and it is scaring me, because I don't know how I can work through it.

I'm 29 now, and I take Sertraline at the moment. For the past few months the feeling of depression has been increasing, and the symptoms have been getting more prominant. I've been here before, so I can sense how I'm doing, and how worrying it is because I'm starting to feel that a big episode is afoot if I'm not careful. Whenever I fall back like this, I feel more of a failure, and more guilty than ever -I mean, why can't I deal with this by now?? Etc.

Its a bore to people - you can see the look in their eyes if I talk about it with them - the oh god, she's having a moan again, I think she likes being down - sort of look, and the exasperation that I can't sort myself out. I can empathise with them, though -- I feel exactly the same about myself.

My reason for posting is, well, I am not sure. I don't know what to do anymore - I'm tired of feeling how I've felt all this time. Its consumed me totally, and ruined so many years of my life. And the fact that I can't learn to live with these feelings is troubling - I've seen my gp many times about it, seen a CBT counsellor, spent hours navel gazing about myself, and yet essentially just wasted their time, because it comes to me, again, being a mess. I don't even know what to aim for anymore. Things seem more hopeless than they have felt for a long time. I've got to a point where I feel really detached from reality, and I don't feel human.

Maybe come Monday, when work rolls round again, as much as I dislike my job, its a distraction. But, I don't want my life to be just about distracting myself from myself and the crisis I feel inside - if that makes sense. The problem is, I can't figure out what will help. :wacko:

mandshere2000
13-10-13, 05:50
Hi and :welcome: to NMP
Your post sounds so much like myself and how my life as been for many years
I have episodes of depression,anxiety and depersonalisation which is so frightening, I have
been through all the emotions you are feeling the hopelessness and people not caring or even being interested in me and what's wrong,I have been on Prozac on/ off for over 20 yrs
Here if you want to chat anytime:)
Manda

---------- Post added at 05:50 ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 ----------

Oh and yes my sleep is awful, the reason I'm up at this ridiculous time

gla
13-10-13, 07:39
hi Manda :)

Thanks for your reply. Aha, so you are also a night owl? I like this time of the morning the best - the daylight is just coming through and its nice and fresh and 'new'. Although I would like to be waking up to this now rather than being awake all night to meet it :whistles:

I thought it was really interesting to read your post about experiencing anx/depression on and off over a long period of time - it really seems the case that depression can be something like a condition to live with and manage rather than fully get over - like a lot of other health issues. I know this, and that there is nothing to feel ashamed about really, but still I do feel shame for not being able to get a handle on myself and to try and figure out what triggers depression/anxiety, and what to do about it. I can't really picture where I want to take my life, which I think adds to things quite a lot.

AuntieMoosie
13-10-13, 16:22
Hello and a very warm :welcome: to NMP :)

I'm sure that you'll find lots of help, support and advice here :)

There's also loads of information to be found in the topics to the left of the screen hun :hugs: