PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre, spaced out feeling

NE21 worrier
13-10-13, 16:31
Hi everyone,

Just a post to say I'm feeling really rather bizarre right at the moment. I've got no major events coming right up to cause me anxiety and I've got no real mind chatter or obsessive thoughts over anything.

And yet, and yet... I'm feeling totally spaced out, my nose feels blocked up and my brains seems to be working half-an-hour slow. I've also got a clammy back and I've had some pins and needles at my extremities.

I feel constantly lethargic and seemed to have slept a lot of the weekend away. I am not panicking - as I've felt a lot worse than this in the past - but I'm just a bit confused why I might be feeling like this.

Thanks,
Peter

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

I think this is more common than I originally thought. Just read the guidance on this very site which has proved to be pretty useful...

Dizziness or light-headedness

What you feel:

You feel suddenly light-headed, woozy or dizzy. This is sometimes accompaniedby a feeling that you might faint or pass out. It also may feel as though youare walking on a boat, or that the floor seems to move up and down and it's hardto balance. You may also have difficulty placing your feet because yourperception of the ground or floor may be wrong. In some cases it may seem thateven though you are standing on a firm floor, the floor may be vibrating ormoving.
This is a very common feeling that most sufferers get. It's usually as a result of hyperventilation but also of intense fear and the adrenalin hit.
Feeling faint is very worrying and very frightening. You feel as though you are going to pass out or the whole world seems to be spinning and you cannot focus on anything. Your vision is blurred and this causes more Panic as you are now 'sure' that you will pass out or collapse.
Even when you convince yourself that you will not faint, the feeling of un-steadiness or dizziness remains. This feeling can go on for minutes or hours and there seems to be no end to it.
What causes this:

This symptom has a few variations. Some people may experience a sudden head rush feeling, which goes almost as quickly as it comes. As long as the individual doesn't react with more fear, the symptom will come and go and will vary in frequency from a number of times per day, to a few times a month.
Another variation includes a constant state of unbalance, spinning, wooziness, fogginess and so on. Often it is accompanied by a feeling that you may pass out (some people do, however, that's not common).
This symptom has a few causes. It could be from a blood sugar imbalance, hyperventilation (not getting enough oxygen) or an inner ear or ear pressure condition.
This is a common symptom and sometimes an individual can experience both forms, and at different times.
There are tests available that can accurately identify a blood sugar imbalance, however, most often this isn't the main cause. Typically, those with anxiety disorder have their blood sugar levels within the safe range when tested. However, long periods without eating may aggravate the condition because blood sugar levels may drop too low because of not eating. It's important to eat regular wholesome and natural food so that the fluctuations in blood sugar remain in the normal range.
If you are experiencing this symptom, having medical tests may be beneficial - certainly, to rule out any other cause.
If your symptom is a result of hyperventilation, deliberately deep slow breathing will reduce and even eliminate this symptom. While deep relaxation will help to diminish and eliminate most symptoms, I found that this symptom is one that hangs on the longest, and is the least responsive to immediate counter action. However, regular exercise provided me with results though not immediate.

Try to steady your breathing and sit quietly somewhere so that you can concentrate on it. The more you Panic and worry, the worse you will feel.
Try to occupy and distract your mind with something so you don't focus on the dizziness and if necessary sit down for a while to help get your balance back.
As with all symptoms, when the nervous system gets sufficient rest, this symptom will diminish and eventually subside.

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Well, I'm still feeling rather rubbish though I've tried to give myself a relaxing couple of hours laid out in my room with the window open.

I'm still feeling light-headed and slightly nauseous, and my bowels have been rather loose :blush: - but I trust it might go away with some distraction therapy so I'm going to walk down the hill to Blaydon (only about 0.5mi) to catch the bus for the Metrocentre so that I can meet a friend for a film.

NE21 worrier
13-10-13, 23:40
Well, the film was pretty good (The Fifth Estate) - into my politics and media studies so it was right up my street and better than the write-ups had suggested, in my opinion.

My lethargy and light-headedness is still there but obviously worse when I concentrate on it. I am hoping a decent sleep will sort it out - at least I'm tired again at the right time :)

EnoughAlready
14-10-13, 00:04
Hope you feel better tomorrow :)

NE21 worrier
14-10-13, 16:44
Thanks for replying,

Sadly today wasn't very good, worse in fact but it doesn't feel like anxiety. I was unwell this morning, and still hauled myself into work.. got through to 3.30 and agreed to go home. I'm off tomorrow for my Nanna's funeral so this is not an easy time of it anyway.

Anxiety, I have gathered, is such a sneaky thing in that it seems to ape so many other things. On further reassessment, particularly as I am not feeling particularly anxious, it is far more likely that I have a horrid head cold - all my sinuses feel blocked up, my eyes feel red raw as if I haven't slept a wink (even when I have), and my larynx is really sore.

I'm sure a night resting up in bed with Mrs Lemsip will help me out...:winks:

Peter

NoPoet
14-10-13, 17:03
Well, the film was pretty good (The Fifth Estate) - into my politics and media studies so it was right up my street and better than the write-ups had suggested, in my opinion.
The write-ups also suggested Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't quite as good as the Trek reboot in 2009, but almost everyone I know thinks Into Darkness is better. Funny how a brilliant performance from an English villain sells sci-fi to the masses. KHAAAAAN!!!

Anxiety, I have gathered, is such a sneaky thing in that it seems to ape so many other things. On further reassessment, particularly as I am not feeling particularly anxious, it is far more likely that I have a horrid head cold - all my sinuses feel blocked up, my eyes feel red raw as if I haven't slept a wink (even when I have), and my larynx is really sore.
Your level of insight is really strong and your posts are very well-worded. Bear in mind there's been a sharp temperature drop and lots of rain, so a lot of people are struggling with persistent, flu-like colds. You should always, always look for other factors when you feel ill or anxious, as you will usually find one (or probably several) contributing factors and this takes most of the fear out of it.

Generally speaking though, if you cannot find anything rational for your symptoms, they are caused by anxiety, perhaps something that's slipped under your radar, or a blip - when your symptoms temporarily return strongly before settling back down. You *might* be hyperventilating, which causes weird drowsiness, blurred vision and pins and needles, so take long, deep, relaxing breaths.

Congratulations on still trying to carry on as normal, which is the only way to eventually recover from anxiety.

Amandala
15-10-13, 23:19
Thank you so much for this post! I have been feeling the same for bout a week now and I have trailed off into horrible "what if" land. Reading your post is very reassuring to me.
How are you feeling now?

harasgenster
15-10-13, 23:35
My therapist explained to me that spacedoutness, exhaustion and disocciative feelings (like derealisation/depersonalisation) are part of the 'panic spectrum'. I.e. you've gone past panic, now you're just completely blitzed! Or it can be more that you've had chronic stress/pressure for a long time (which you may not have even noticed) and now you're worn out.

Don't let that worry you, though, this just means you've been under a lot of stress recently and you need the rest. So make sure you get plenty of sleep, hot chocolate and sitting around pampering yourself!

scottwilson
16-10-13, 09:53
I too have the constant spaced out feeling, I have a tension between my eyes that runs through the centre of my head, my forehead feels like its being pushed on, I have no sinus issues its been like it for 4 years, My nerves feel very strange and uncomftable it comes in waves but is always there to some degree. My brain has a contant ache feeling and I suffer with vertigo and unbalance. Pins and needles and everything, Blurry dodgy vision sometimes its like paint running very slowly. It a real arse as I have no triggers not one been trying to find it for years but it always draws a blank. Anyway your not alone.