PDA

View Full Version : Can a 26 year old get a heart attack?

jared
14-10-13, 03:38
I'm a male, 5'7 and 270 lbs. Obviously I am "obese". I do not smoke or use any tobacco products, have a drink about once a week, and take a cholesterol reducing multivitamin ( centrum heart ). Problem is I don't exercise and spend a LOT of time on the couch. My weakness is chips, tacos, etx and try to avoid candy and other junk. I do not drink pop. I take Wellbutrin, Xanax, prozac, and the. Amlodepeine for my BP.

My resting rate is above 100 which is tachycardia, and my blood pressure is high at stage 1 hypertension (sometimes stage 2). I feel like when I work out or do anything physical my chest is going to fail me because my heart beat goes up to 120 or so.

I feel so terrible. Heart disease runs in my family and saw my dad have a near-fatal heart attack. Am I going to die? I want to get healthy but am trapped by so many bad habits. Can a 26 year old die of a heart attack like this? I'm too young to die!! What are the chances? I feel as if I could pass out and feel terrible about my obesity. I don't look THAT bad but 270 and only 5'7 is bad. Sigh...

Brunette
14-10-13, 09:16
The short answer is yes, you can die if a heart attack at any age although it would be extremely rare at 26 even if you are overweight. The fact that you don't smoke, don't drink to excess and avoid eating lots of sugar are factors very much in your favour.

You need to discuss your heart rate with your doctor and make sure he or she is happy for you to exercise and then just go out there and do it.

BumbleGirl
14-10-13, 09:58
Hi Jared. I understand the need to eat junk food because I have it myself and struggle with my weight. But your health is way more important then any junk food. Ask your dr if they can help you cut down. At 26 you shouldn't have high blood pressure and if you lose weight I'm sure this will help with that. Xxx

ankietyjoe
14-10-13, 10:41
Whilst it's difficult to get out of ruts you could maybe see this post as a wake up call. As has been said it's highly unlikely that you'll die from a heart attack at 26 even with your health/lifestyle issues and your family history. At 36 you're far more likely to though, so make the changes now.

As with any addiction it's sometimes best to just stop. If chips and tacos are your addiction, then just stop eating them. Personally I don't subscribe to the notion that it's 'so' hard to stop these things, we eat them because we choose to eat them for the most part, for whatever reason that might be.

As long as the rest of your diet is relatively healthy then the transition probably won't be as hard as you like.

Exercise doesn't have to be massively difficult either, and in fact a 20 minute walk once a day is all you really need.

If I were in your position I'd make a decision to start with one of two lifestyle changes and that's a) start the walking or b) give up the chips. Once you've accomplished one, then target the other one. Either one will probably have a marked effect on your overall health.

Fishmanpa
14-10-13, 16:03
Some good advice here!

While one cannot predict the future, I can say with confidence that if you continue on the current path, you'll have health issues for sure. Especially in light of your current condition and family history.

OR... you can start now and make positive changes to avoid future issues. We're all going to die at some point but you can lessen the chances of doing so from heart or other health issues by taking charge of your life while you have the chance.

Good Luck!

Chili9
14-10-13, 16:28
Hi Jared
Was it Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (P.O.T.S) you have been diagnosed with? My doctor has tried to diagnose me with that but I don't have a fast resting rate, it was because I got dizzy a lot when standing up or changing position but not all the time so I am still unsure. From what I know about it, it is hard to exercise having that condition due to the dizziness so is there anything your doctor can give you advice on in regards to exercise? Are you on medication for this? Sorry i'm just assuming this is what you mean by tachycardia. As mentioned, it can happen but very unlikely at your age but I think you do need to discuss your concerns with your doctor and perhaps even see a nutritionist. You really need a lot of fruit and veg in your diet and cut back on processed foods, even do juicing as long as you juice some fruits with their skins to keep their fibre? Drink lots of water and they say the best way to look after your heart health is obviously through all these pointers but also drinking warm water before bed too. Please try not to worry because you know that it makes every symptom worse, I've only known this too well the last few weeks and make that appointment now, as in right now and tell the doc everything you have told us. Good luck Jared. I'm sure you will be fine:)

jared
14-10-13, 17:30
Ok I am a little nervous now, was looking for reassurance. But yeah ok I will start doing things to improve my health. It just confirms my anxiety which isn't good.

Chili9
14-10-13, 18:03
I gave you reassurance sweetie, and like others who have posted, it's just hard to give an outcome for you cos like ourselves, we can't get medical diagnosis on here, we can only give you guidance and our own experiences. Is it P.O.T.S you have because that's not serious, I heard it can be debilitating but not serious and I heard my doctor say that once his patients with it went on medication it sorted them right out. I think it wouldn't matter what we say, even if we said that you'll be absolutely fine that you'll probably not believe it (as that's how our particular minds work) Deep down you probably know yourself that you maybe need to make a few lifestyle changes but you are still young and have time to get round to doing just that. Please speak to your doctor who will give you advice and reassurance and may help guide you on the right path and suggestions for exercise. You are still young and you have got that going for you. Good luck, and as I say, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Brunette
15-10-13, 09:52
Ok I am a little nervous now, was looking for reassurance. But yeah ok I will start doing things to improve my health. It just confirms my anxiety which isn't good.

Did you expect people to say that you are OK to carry on as you are?

You are anxious because you already know the risks of your current lifestyle. You are young enough to do something about it, so do it.

jared
15-10-13, 16:38
So ive got great news! I've been working out these past couple of days and choosing to cut out chips, crackers, etc.

Yesterday I had grapefruit, chicken soup, and bananas. Worked out for 25 min on elliptical.

Last night I'm feeling great, check my resting pulse - 72 bpm! Today after my workout I'm down to 88 bpm after 15 min of rest! How awesome! This is going to be great, time to get rid of all the junk in our house, I do feel so much better physically and my heart seems to be happy.

I had a little chest pain on the elliptical on my left side but its likely my costo flaring, cause my heart rate is fine. Gotta remind myself I am healthy and getting better!

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Did you expect people to say that you are OK to carry on as you are?

You are anxious because you already know the risks of your current lifestyle. You are young enough to do something about it, so do it.

That was a little harsh, considering this is a panic forum.

Fishmanpa
15-10-13, 16:50
That was a little harsh, considering this is a panic forum.

I don't think so in the least. Sometimes people need to be cyber slapped upside the head to get their eyes to open.

Kudos and ^5's for exercising and eating better!

Good Luck!