PDA

View Full Version : New

Harlowe
14-10-13, 14:49
Hi there. I am new. I am a 43 yr old mother of 2 boys. I am pretty happy most of the time, but I constantly worry about everything. It drives me crazy. I worry about my kids, fire, getting siick, something happening to them or me. I worry about what other people think of me constantly.
Sometimes I have drinks to relax but then the whole next day I am worried about everything again. It just gets worse with a hangover. I avoid drinking when I can because of this.
I feel exhausted after worrying so much. I wish I could just be happy all the time.
When I get panic attacks I feel like I can't breathe. I shake, I can't settle down.
Sometimes I feel like I am going to die. Uggghh.
Glad to be here. Hopefully I can learn to cope.

DaisyPolly
14-10-13, 15:46
Hi Harlowe,

I'm a 47yr old mother of 2 boys and I suffer with panic attacks and health anxiety. I can totally relate to how you feel when you say you sometimes feel like you're going to die, it's an awful feeling.

10 weeks ago I had a prolonged anxiety attack probably due to my elderly father being in hospital and everything getting on top of me. I'm now on medication and waiting for CBT.

Looking back I can now see that this has been coming on for a long time but I just didn't know how to approach my Dr about it and strangely I kind of wondered at times if I was making it up in my own head. It wasn't until I had this 'melt down' when dad was in hospital that I finally sought help.

Have you ever spoken to your Dr about how you feel because CBT may be the way to go for you but if it's anything like in the UK there's a long waiting list.

My advice is don't ignore how you feel hoping it will get better because in my experience it suddenly got a lot worse. I'm not saying it's gonna happen to you but it scared the hell out of me and I realize that I should of got help a lot sooner.

Maybe reading on here other peoples experiences will help, I know it did for me big time.

Take care hun x

Annie0904
14-10-13, 17:40
Hi :welcome:

almamatters
14-10-13, 18:18
Hi :welcome: to the forum

Harlowe
14-10-13, 18:19
Thanks ladies. I feel embarrassed about how I feel. I feel like I always mess up my own happiness by worrying. It is so frustrating and exhausting. It dows seem at times it gets worse instead of better. We gave been through a lot my husband and I over the past 5 years. My husband lost his 15 year job and had a hard time getting work. I also list my job because of a funding cut. We had to sell our house which was tramatic for the kids and us. We have been renting a home in a different town. We finally have secure jobs. The kids are happier. I should be too. I am so tired of it.

Annie0904
14-10-13, 18:25
Don't feel embarrassed about how you feel. I worry about everything, if I wasn't worrying I would worry about why I wasn't worrying! :doh:

blazer327
14-10-13, 21:06
Don't feel embarrassed, you can't help it. I think you should talk to your doctor. There are some wonderful medications out there that can help you, and will not make you feel "spaced out" The next time you start to have a panic attack, count backwards from 100. It will help to calm you down. Try some walking or stretching to get rid of some of the nervous energy. I had my first panic attack in 2007, the worst thing I have ever experienced. My dr. started me on some medicine and I started seeing a therapist. I would say about four months later I was almost myself again. At about 6 months I was myself. Change you thoughts. Instead of worrying concentrate on what you are grateful for. I realize this is hard and will take practice. I hope this helps a little.