PDA

View Full Version : Spiders?

Em.ma
14-10-13, 18:00
Anyone else worried bout those spiders.
I've got a sore mark in my leg today. So scared :(

pacer
14-10-13, 18:08
Do you mean the false widows? It's highly unlikely you'll see one but if you do they don't just come and bite you, they would probably run from any noise or vibrations anyway. I've seen lots of posts on FB about this and people are posting pics of so called deadly spiders that are just our own common, harmless ones.
I was actually bitten by a spider once and it just came up in a little red bump.

mikewales
14-10-13, 18:09
Those spiders have been in the UK for 150 years. It is only the media now printing stupid stories about killer spiders has made people worry about them. They are no more dangerous than a bee, wasp or peanut. If you are allergic to them then you will have a reaction ( although nobody has died from being bitten ).

To put it in perspective, over 100 people a year get killed by vending machines falling on them, none die in the UK from spider bites !

Chili9
14-10-13, 18:15
I agree with the above posts. Fb is also a great site for worrying people. I read that those spiders have been in the UK since the 1800's. It was only after a woman took a reaction to one bite that the stories and media came about and making it out to be worse than it seems. As someone mentioned, if it does bite you, it will give you a small reaction unless, like a wasp, you are allergic but I also read that it will only bite if you annoy it or it's web. People are also confusing it with the venomous widow spider. I must admit it gives me the creeps, but I wouldn't have known otherwise if it wasn't for the media scaremongering again!!! That's what the internet and media are good at, focussing on the negatives, a little like our minds;)

Fishmanpa
14-10-13, 18:16
There are no spiders in the UK with enough venom to really harm you unlike here in the US. Other than perhaps some irritation, you'd be fine if bitten. Even with the false widow, you're more likely to be hit by lighting than bitten by one.

My partner is deathly afraid of spiders. I know that "it's a spider scream" when I hear it and I have to go and dispose of the thing ~lol~ Our cat does most of the hunting for us though ;)

Good Luck!

BumbleGirl
14-10-13, 18:29
Hi emma. Hopefully this will reassure you that my friends neighbour had a false widow in her bathroom about a year ago and it was actually terrified of them! So I'm sure one wouldn't bite you. They're more scared of you then you are of them xxx

Em.ma
15-10-13, 17:20
Hiya everyone.
Yes people posting about it everywere all over fb. Terrible had me really worried at a point . People are actually panicking over it x

AuntieMoosie
15-10-13, 18:55
Don't be frightened Emma,

This is the good old British media causing yet another totally hyped up story.

I've researched this ere spider, and what I have learned is that it very rarely bites, it usually only bites if it feels threatened, and even if it does bite you, it will be something like a wasp sting and no worse :)

There are people who could be allergic to the bite, like there are people who are allergic to wasp and bee stings, and those are the only people that need to be extra cautious.

The rule of thumb is, if you do get bitten and you think you're having an allergic reaction, you need to seek medical attention straight away, but please lets all remember that to have a reaction like this is pretty rare.

I've seen the stupid, fear giving, panic provoking posts all over facebook too, in fact I even told people the other day to please stop sharing them as they are not factually correct and all they will do is cause some people unnecessary worry :hugs:

Annie0904
15-10-13, 18:58
There was one of those spiders on the news tonight. It was found in a house in a town not far from me and they have put it in a box and called it Tilly (or something similar). :)

Edie
15-10-13, 19:08
There has been a story recently about a man who died from a bite from a false widow. He actually died from an allergic reaction, not poison. It's made the news precisely because it's so unusual. He is the first death in the UK from a false widow even though they have been in the UK for 150 years, that's how rare it is.

Rennie1989
15-10-13, 19:16
I got stung by a jelly fish whilst on my honeymoon last month and that was far more irritating than any bite I've had in the UK. Spiders here are so harmless it's funny, so you have nothing to worry about, seriously.

Media like to scaremonger, ignore them.