PDA

View Full Version : Why is my hair getting thinner??

Emma17
14-10-13, 21:09
I've always had very thick hair - but lately I've noticed it feels a lot thinner - and looks slightly thinner too... It's not in bad condition as it feels smooth to the touch and still looks shiny - can anyone help please?

hangingbasket
14-10-13, 21:18
are you taking citalopram by any chance? Im trying to blame that for my hair loss?!?!?

Emma17
14-10-13, 21:19
No, I don't take any medication?

pepsi
14-10-13, 21:29
My hair is alot thinner than it was ...do you straighten your hair alot ? I dont so much now andbuts thicker again also take vitamins to encorage hair and nail growth....hth x

Emma17
14-10-13, 21:31
I used to straighten it quite a bit and it has grown an awful lot - it's the longest it's ever been right now - maybe that's got something to do with it? Me being me am just worrying it's something more than it is! Xx

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Also for as long as I remember it's shed!

pepsi
14-10-13, 21:59
My hair was sooooo thin when I was pregnant !! It never returned to its thickness but I stopped straighteningvall heat damage takes its toll on your hair. And if you feel its getting you down have a few lines of extentions they are amazing and last ages thats what I did if I was that worried

Emma17
14-10-13, 22:02
My hair is now half way down my back - my partner says as it's getting longer it seems thinner.. I want to ask a doctor about it but it's silly right as everyone says it's not a sign of anything and nothing to worry about - but you know what it's like I'm sure.. Easier said than done! Xx

debs71
15-10-13, 00:43
I had the same thing myself a few months back, Emma.

My hair has never been thick in terms of individual hair thickness, but I always had a lot of fine hair, but I noticed as time went on that my hair just felt thinner and looked thinner. I also had tons falling out in the shower and around my bedroom....scary! I was also a slave to hair drying and then straightening my hair.

I did two things. Firstly I started taking a supplement called 'Mega-vitamins for Hair' (from Holland and Barrett....my diet isn't the greatest) and I also started air drying my hair naturally, but continued to straighten, but whilst using a heat protective, straightening spray before straightening. I have also tried to improve my diet a bit. I never ate a lot of red meat before (protein) so started adding some, and also more fruit and veg.

I have since noticed a big difference, and I was chuffed when my hairdresser said my hair felt thicker at the back last time I had a trim. My hair also seems to grow faster now as well.I didn't think I would notice any difference with those few changes, but just reducing some bad things for hair does help a lot.x:hugs:

rachael t
15-10-13, 03:45
If you have just let your hair grow and have not had trim then that can make your hair seem realy fine wispy on the ends try a good trim and you will see the difference

spacebunnyx
15-10-13, 18:57
Hi Emma, I have the same problem right now - its the time of year. People lose more hair in the autumn.. we notice it more because our hair is long.

I panicked the other day when I brushed my hair and loads came out... then I clogged up the vacuum cleaner!! My mum said my sister's hair is doing the same (and clogged up the vac as well!)

xxx

almamatters
15-10-13, 19:08
Hi Emma, I have the same problem right now - its the time of year. People lose more hair in the autumn.. we notice it more because our hair is long.

I panicked the other day when I brushed my hair and loads came out... then I clogged up the vacuum cleaner!! My mum said my sister's hair is doing the same (and clogged up the vac as well!)

xxx

Hi Emma, just had to agree with spacebunny , we do lose more hair in the Autumn, mine seems to be coming out quicker at the moment, having a trim might help it to feel thicker, some people recommend multi vitamins to ensure you are getting all the correct nutrients for hair growth, but if you are eating a healthy balanced diet then you should be ok. I have long hair and I was told that having layers in it will make it appear thicker but it did not seem to make a great deal of difference to mine and I grew them out. x

Rennie1989
15-10-13, 19:33
I'm losing a lot of hair at the moment, I have thick curly hair.

Fishmanpa
15-10-13, 19:34
Pffft... Being that I bear a striking resemblance to Mr. Clean, I WISH I hair to lose ~lol~ On another note it's Fall here and my cat is shedding something awful! ;)

Rennie1989
15-10-13, 19:44
Fishmanpa - we'll make you a wig out of all of our shredded hair :D

Fishmanpa
15-10-13, 19:50
Fishmanpa - we'll make you a wig out of all of our shredded hair :D

:D

Emma17
16-10-13, 00:18
Thanks so much for the advice and tips!
I'm on it first thing and hopefully will see the results once I've shed my winter coat! ;) xx

Hypo
16-10-13, 09:44
That happened to me with a low thyroid. But mine was coming out in chunks.

It's harmless, just need to take meds for it.

Most likely it has just got longer and needs a trim. Hair does change and a lot of people go through stages where they lose more hair than other times.

Unless it's coming out in clumps like mine I would just go for a trim and not worry about it :)

tracieann
16-10-13, 11:00
hanging basket i take citalopram and have for 7 years and mines getting thinner do you think it could have any bearing on hair

Magic
16-10-13, 11:43
I have the same thing. Hoovers full of it. Had a dry trim yesterday. Did not want to have it washed just in case there was any comment from the hairdresser.
I too take vitamin for hair loss. On my second bottle.
It does not worry me at the moment, but I will see how it goes after I have taken rest of tablets

Sparkle1984
19-10-13, 19:32
are you taking citalopram by any chance? Im trying to blame that for my hair loss?!?!?

I'm on citalopram and in the last few months I've noticed my hair is thinner than it used to be, so I was interested to find this thread. Even my hairdresser said that sometimes certain meds can make people's hair thinner! It's weird isn't it?