PDA

View Full Version : nhs pyschiatrist?

stenfish
15-10-13, 10:16
Hi Folks,

This is my first post and wanted to check if anyone had experiences with nhs pyschiatrist and timescales involved. I have gad and suspected bpd. I had my initial assesment yesterda which was inconclusive which was kinda obvious when only given 45 mins. They point blank refused to give me any medication even though really not coping great I.e self harm and suicide attempt about a month ago. End outcome from yesterdays appointment nothing I didnt already know apart from narcisstic tendencies and I now have to wait another month for another assesment. Feels like a complete waste of time?. And cant believe even knowing that last night would be really bad about talking about everything. Refused to give any meds?. Nevermind another month in hell. To be probably fobbed off again at next assessment?

Just wondering how long before I actually get help etc

G

Jacsta
15-10-13, 11:43
Psychiatrists know a lot more about medication than GPs do, maybe they are holding off until the assessment is complete so they can get the right meds first time. When I saw a psych she focused more on therapy than meds, but it depends on the diagnosis and the plan for recovery. Medication isn't the magic cure for most mental health illnesses, it is only a small part of getting better.

Give them a chance, it won't get better overnight, but you are in their system now which sometime is the hardest part.

Good luck

Jac

Rennie1989
15-10-13, 12:11
Unfortunately the NHS is dominated by waiting lists. I was seen by a shrink within a week, I think, because of a hospital admission but all he did was take me off my meds and referred me to the CMHT. Just hang in there, wait for the appointment and take it from there. A lot of people here, me included, have had to wait months and months for treatment, unfortunately there is no target set for waiting times for mental illness treatment.

In the mean time if you believe that you're at risk of harming yourself then please contact the crisis team or 999.

stenfish
15-10-13, 13:51
Thanks folks. Kinda stormed off in a huff at the end of it. Admittedly not my proudest moment was kinda enjoyable though ;-) just hope she still sends out next appointment also said she would send out ingo on a personality disorder and wants me to tick relevant boxes that apply

Rennie1989
15-10-13, 19:07
Don't take it out on the staff, it's not their fault you have to wait.

stenfish
15-10-13, 20:38
Wasnt so much taken it out on staff, dont believe in that asvthey have a tough job. Just more the fact that I told them I would really really struggle was on chlorpromazine and they refused to give me anymore and effectively said go deal with it. Just couldnt understand when I was asking for help/meds to help me cope they said no?