PDA

View Full Version : start cbt tommorow

bigh123
15-10-13, 17:09
interested to see what its all about , hope that it stops my constant worrying !

girl92
15-10-13, 18:21
for me it was the best thing. Medication just wasn't working. I had cbt for about 8 months with a therapist. She helped me to understand and confront my anxiety. You will learn so many techniques that will help you. Hope it goes well for you and you find it as helpful as I did

Rennie1989
15-10-13, 18:50
CBT basically challenges how you see the world and why you behave the way you do, which is often the route course of the anxiety/depression and aims to change your thinking process. It involves homework so you carry on the learning and recovery whilst away from the sessions.

I'm currently going through CBT and I've definitely noticed a difference. I recommend it to everyone.

Jon644
15-10-13, 23:00
Oh thank you. Just reminded me to re book my stress CBT I went to the first day but never went back. Wish i stuck to it now. Gonna re book it. Yeah they give you a lot of info.

jayjoe18
16-10-13, 19:21
That's great news, really glad to hear you've been offered some therapy so quickly. I'm sure you will find it really helpful, I had it for my health anxiety a few years ago (I thought I had a different illness everyday and I'd die) but the CBT really helped me to the point where I'm now 99% better. And even on the off days it's no where near as bad as it used to be, I can control it and I'm sure you will be able to too. It does take a bit of work and there is written work involved which you take home, but it's all worth it. It's really great to have someone understand and listen to your worries and someone who will be able to help you rationalise them. The first session is mostly going through your difficulties and getting to know the therapist and how the therapy works, it's onwards and upwards from there. Let us know how you get on and good luck!

lempicka
16-10-13, 19:36
I've just finished a course and am trying to put it into practice now - it's hard, but I can definitely see that I've got more of a sense of perspective, and I don't often *touch wood* become as paralysed by anxiety as I used to. I really hope it works for you - I'm sure it will - and you start to feel some benefit really soon

bellesmummy
17-10-13, 09:18
So how did it go bigh123? I am on a waiting list to do face to face cbt. Have done it over phone and in a group before and that was good but looking forward to doing it face to face!

bigh123
17-10-13, 15:34
it went well thanks , i feel more positive just for admitting I've got an issue and need help . We spoke over my worry and how it works what i think etc . Being sent a diary to keep a worry diary . Its over the phone but as my anxiety is over sick bugs i was happier this way as its one less place to visit !

talking over it and rationalizing it definately helped , trying to accept the fact i have to realise sickness is not something i can stop happening , it will happen at some point again and i need to stop worrying.

i can see the therapy being good for me

NoPoet
17-10-13, 21:43
Good luck! CBT helped turn my life around and I've just re-started it.

See therapy as something that will help you begin to resolve your own problems - it will educate you and give you strength and courage of your own to draw upon in future. Do your homework and when you and your therapist have started to make some progress, which can take several sessions, talk about an "action plan" for your therapy and stick to it. Don't get sidetracked talking about other stuff, use that hour to discussing problems and solutions, and re-affirming your commitment to getting better. Also if you find discussing something in a therapy session is making you feel more anxious, you have probably hit on one of your more important problems, so the painful sessions are worthwhile too.

bigh123
18-10-13, 08:11
cheers everyone , as i say i feel its the right path , i just want to get back to how i was before all this crap came along