PDA

View Full Version : Flu shot caused a panic attack

puddingduck
15-10-13, 20:28
I had a very strange experience today and would like to know if it has happened to anyone else or what anyone thinks about it...

I got a flu shot today and I had a really bad reaction that my mom thinks was an anxiety/panic attack. I was kind of nervous but not excessively. Getting the actual shot was fine - I sat through it, cringed at the pain, and tried to get up to leave. But at that point I started feeling really stomach-achy and uncomfortable, then I started sweating loads and had to stay seated. For some reason putting my head between my legs helped. A few minutes later I got up and walked out of the pharmacy, but I felt like I was going to pass out the whole time and saw black encroaching on my vision. As soon as I got outside I sat on a bench and was sweating even more. After about 20 minutes I felt stable again.

This is really strange to me because I didn't feel like I was panicking about the shot and I'm not prone to panic attacks. My mom said it was probably a reaction of shock to the invasion of the shot. Has anyone else experienced something like this? What gives? :/

oldtime
15-10-13, 20:41
It sounds like an anxiety attack rather than a full blown panic attack. I've had lots of these, with similar symptoms.