PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram - third time round

xtopher
16-10-13, 16:30
Hi there

I'm new to this forum - so hello everyone!

I won't go into detail about my story here, but basically I've recently had a very bad relapse of anxiety and depression, and I've gone back on Citalopram. I've been on this medication twice before (I think!) and I really think it worked wonders - I didn't notice any side effects, and after weeks of using it I felt strong enough to go back to work, and then only a few months down the line I would suddenly realise I hadn't been worrying recently.

However, I've now been taking it again for 2 months, and I don't feel any benefit. I'm more anxious than I've ever been - I'm unable to work, and have moved back with my parents. Every day is a struggle. Does anyone know if it can stop working if you have been off and on the drug several times, or am I possibly just in a worse place this time and need a higher dose?

Many thanks for any advice
x

Britabb
16-10-13, 16:55
Hi xtopher. I have been on cipramil for ten yrs 20mg , 9 yrs symptom free virtually. A month ago all my symptoms returned (triggered by stress I think). My dr increased my dosage yo 40mg ten dsys ago so I'm in the early stages of feeling any benefit atm. What dose are u currently taking?
Dont give up
X

xtopher
16-10-13, 17:10
Hi Britabb, thanks for your reply. I'm on 30mg at the moment. Every time before I've been on 20mg. Dr is suggesting going on ANOTHER antidepressant! Mitrazapine or something I believe. I would really like to deal with this without taking more medication, especially as I feel the current one isn't working this time!

Michaela2012
16-10-13, 17:26
Hey im the same. Dr prescribed me citalopram yesterday. First time it worked amazing although I had side affects at the start I got through them. 2nd time I was on it for 12 weeks and felt so so bad so come off & now this time im dreading starting them coz of how I felt before... hope you get it sorted :( awful to suffer especially because I used to b such an outgoing girl & had no fear. Now im a nervous mess wanting to quit my job!!

Britabb
16-10-13, 17:32
I was on 30mg for a week but the dr said a good dose to work is 40mg. Maybe suggest to gp thatan increase to 40mg for a while before trying another ad. Its so frustrating isnt it?! I'm waiting for that day when I wake up feeling myself again. You are not alone. Im happy to talk anytime
X

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Hi michaela. U sound like me. A lot like me. I was up there! What happened?! ×

Michaela2012
16-10-13, 17:34
Very frustrating britabb! Im worried because ive always had support to get me through but ive split up with my partner so on my own this time x

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Stress happened :( ive been so bad for about a month now. My biggest ever regret was stopping the cit in the first placa after I got better x

Britabb
16-10-13, 17:36
Youre not alone in the virtual world. I'm here as a friend if u need someone to talk to. I have support around me but I'm alone in my head if u get me x

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

I swear if sorry when! I get better I'm stsying on it. If it works its worth it x

Michaela2012
16-10-13, 17:37
Yes I no exactly what you mean hun. Im debating whether to take a few days or week off work and try to get myself together. I split with my sons dad after 7 years and hes really messing with my head. Wants me then doesnt etc its awful and heart breaking everytime he comes to see my son x

Britabb
16-10-13, 17:45
Sometimes a few days off work helps. I got signed off for 2 weeks. I'm due back next wed. Take some time out. Rest, sleep and do nothing. I had to cos the side effects are killing me this time. Try and not see your ex. Could u get someone to do the pick up/drop offs? X

Michaela2012
16-10-13, 17:52
It is an option im looking into. Want to get rid of this anxiety before I do anything about him. Im scared about starting these tabs tonight but I think im suffering anyway so its not going to do anything worse. I kimd of go through this once a year atleast so I think if they work then next year I will be makimg a new years resolution that 2014 I will not come off my tabs. So how are you feeling ablut going back to work x

Britabb
16-10-13, 18:08
Just take them. I get up every morn and just throw them down my throat even though I know the side effects are making me feel like crap. Cos I have to believe ( which u have to too) that one day I will wake up being me again. It takes time, time is a great healer. Someone said to me......it took time to get where u are so it will take time to get back again. X

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

I'm scared about going back. I work in a busy opticians and I am a duty manager. I also am training up to be an optician through a part time distance learning course ( my company are funding me so I have to follow it through but I'm behind in my work :( ) so I have a really busy career and 2 children. A very busy life x

Michaela2012
16-10-13, 18:35
Thats a good saying. Yeah I work in admin/reception so im always having to put a smile on my face. Ive come to the conclusion im going to have time off & get back on my feet. Ive done it before so I can do it again x

Britabb
16-10-13, 19:05
Yes do it. The world can do without us for a few days. Let me know how u get on xxgl Hun xx