PDA

View Full Version : Around 3 hours broken sleep in 48 hours and have to go to work today

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 06:41
As the title states.

Can anybody help me? I'm so spaced out.
I have no idea why insomnia has suddenly appeared again, I've been fine for weeks, sleeping 7 hours a night sometimes more.

I'm very scared :(

tracy butler
17-10-13, 07:10
hi I am not sleeping well either two hours the other night none last night in the chat room all night wny as the aniexty come back

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 07:17
Its horrid isnt it?
I dont know how im going to last all day at work.
Plus they say you shouldnt nap either.

jared
17-10-13, 07:20
Try taking melatonin or valerian root at night. And then do everything to relax and not worry. Sleep is very important, you will feel better when you get into a routine of good sleep again. You can, and will, sleep. Anxiety can't change that. Relax and you will be fine.

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 07:50
Im not going to drop down dead or pass out at work am I?

---------- Post added at 07:50 ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 ----------

I feel horrendous

HoneyLove
17-10-13, 08:08
Ugh you poor thing, that's horrible! I've had days like that too, afraid I'd fall down from exhaustion at work - but you know, I never did, no matter how bad I felt, and it taught me that I'm a lot stronger than I think. I think you might find the same if you give it a try - plus it might help you to sleep better when you go to bed tonight.

Maybe avoid any caffeine today, see if it helps you sleep. When this happens to me I usually take something with the B vitamins in it, like Berrocca, in the morning when I reach work to give me a boost and hopefully help me to power through the day. If you're going to take something like that make sure it's in the morning, not the evening, as you don't want an energy boost before you go to bed x

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 11:01
Ive had one lucozade, one coffee and two teas but not having anything after 4pm.

The worst thing is the more I know I need to sleep, the harder it gets. Vicious cycle.
Do you think I might just crash out tonight and should I avoid napping?

HoneyLove
17-10-13, 11:18
Definitely avoid napping, go to bed early but no napping. You have had a lot of caffeine today, so try to avoid it tomorrow and you might get a much better sleep.

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 11:23
Its ok to have caffiene in the morning though? And early afternoon.
Apparently after 3 or 4 you shouldnt.

I will try not to nap.
My eyes feel like theyre bleeding :-(

Im worried ive got that fatal insomnia thing. What you think?

Annie0904
17-10-13, 13:19
I agree with Honeylove, you should stay off the caffeine totally. I would also avoid napping and just get an early night tonight.

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 14:24
I agree with Honeylove, you should stay off the caffeine totally. I would also avoid napping and just get an early night tonight.

It's so hard though, I can feel my eyes going already :(

It isn't likely to be fatal insomnia though?

Annie0904
17-10-13, 14:30
It is NOT going to be fatal insomnia...No. I quite often go for days with only a few hours sleep a night and I have survived :)

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 14:53
I know it's stupid but I'm so worried I'm going to die.

I don't think I slept at all last night.

HoneyLove
17-10-13, 15:03
It's so hard though, I can feel my eyes going already :(

It isn't likely to be fatal insomnia though?

If you're having trouble with insomnia and anxiety then it's best to totally avoid caffeine! Even in the early morning. Seriously that's anxiety/insomnia 101, and the amount you've been drinking (if that's what you drink every day) is definitely going to put an already frazzled nervous system on edge.

I can't even have a cup of tea regularly, if I have caffeine every day it really affects my sleep and anxiety. You also need to avoid other stimulants like sugary foods/drinks or junk foods.

This includes avoiding any type of chocolate and caffeinated drinks like cola or green tea or hot chocolate.

If you've been drinking a lot of caffeine every day then it's advisable to wean yourself off slowly rather than go cold turkey, so look into that.

It's much more likely to be causing your insomnia than it actually being fatal insomnia, think logically about it. Maybe have a read about ways to improve your sleep quality, rather than googling about things like fatal insomnia, that'll help you so much more xx

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 15:14
If you're having trouble with insomnia and anxiety then it's best to totally avoid caffeine! Even in the early morning. Seriously that's anxiety/insomnia 101, and the amount you've been drinking (if that's what you drink every day) is definitely going to put an already frazzled nervous system on edge.

I can't even have a cup of tea regularly, if I have caffeine every day it really affects my sleep and anxiety. You also need to avoid other stimulants like sugary foods/drinks or junk foods.

This includes avoiding any type of chocolate and caffeinated drinks like cola or green tea or hot chocolate.

If you've been drinking a lot of caffeine every day then it's advisable to wean yourself off slowly rather than go cold turkey, so look into that.

It's much more likely to be causing your insomnia than it actually being fatal insomnia, think logically about it. Maybe have a read about ways to improve your sleep quality, rather than googling about things like fatal insomnia, that'll help you so much more xx

That all makes sense but I have been sleeping well for the last few weeks even on Sunday/Monday night this week I managed 7.5 hours sleep. And I was still drinking the same amount of caffeine.

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

So why has it suddenly come on now?

HoneyLove
17-10-13, 16:25
There can be so many reasons - hormones, extra stress, illness, medication, etc. - but basically sometimes we can handle more, sometimes we can handle less. Don't overanalyse it.

But if you're struggling to sleep, or if you find yourself returning to an anxiety forum then you've got to look at the things in your life that may be adding to your problems.

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 19:10
I am due on my period any day now so could that be related?

Mine is also extreme anxiety about sleeping because of work. I know I have to get up I. The morning for work therefore know I have to sleep and this makes it harder and harder. Although when I'm not going through an insomnia patch (last week and start of this one) I'm absolutely fine sleeping on a work night and have very little trouble going back to sleep if I wake up.
It's like I am two different personalities/two different people, very frustrating.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Hope I do sleep tonight! Think of me guys and girls.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

It is NOT going to be fatal insomnia...No. I quite often go for days with only a few hours sleep a night and I have survived :)

may I ask how you manage the next day? I always feel awful.

Annie0904
17-10-13, 19:13
I feel exhausted and grumpy but just have to get on with it. I guess once you have kids you get more used to having hardly any sleep :)

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

(It isn't kids that keep me awake now though..my youngest is 23 and they all have their own homes)

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 19:15
I feel exhausted and grumpy but just have to get on with it. I guess once you have kids you get more used to having hardly any sleep :)

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

(It isn't kids that keep me awake now though..my youngest is 23 and they all have their own homes)

That's what I've heard, especially babies obviously.

Listening to a bit of classical music tonight.

Annie0904
17-10-13, 19:19
I suggest you get into a bedtime routine and stick to it. Hot bath, warm drink of horlicks or chamomile tea, stay off the computer for an hour before bed and relax with some music or read for a while.

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 19:21
I suggest you get into a bedtime routine and stick to it. Hot bath, warm drink of horlicks or chamomile tea, stay off the computer for an hour before bed and relax with some music or read for a while.

All of those things I do every night.
Routine doesn't always help me for some reason.

Annie0904
17-10-13, 19:26
I think worrying about work is your biggest problem. If it causes you as much stress as you say it does then maybe you should be looking for something else?

GirlAfraid23
17-10-13, 19:41
I think worrying about work is your biggest problem. If it causes you as much stress as you say it does then maybe you should be looking for something else?

But it would be any job. Ideally I wouldn't have one :(

lizzie29
17-10-13, 22:23
What is it about work that worries you? You need to look at that, and how to make it easier. This in turn should help your sleep. Not having a job is treating the symptom rather than the cause.

HoneyLove
18-10-13, 08:35
GirlAfraid, I feel for you because I've been there too - worrying about not sleeping and still having to go to work the next day, as well as feeling like you're two totally different personalities. I've been through a pretty rough few years, so I've had many sleepless nights lying worried about being able to handle the world the next day.

But you know what I learned? I was *always* able to handle it. Even the nights with pretty much no sleep, I could always get to work and get through it despite how crappy I felt or how much I thought I'd fall down from exhaustion. Somedays I was so tired I felt like I could barely breathe, or like my chest would collapse in from feeling so weary - I was shaky, nervous, weak and teary, but I was *always* able to handle it, much to my surprise!

And I think if you look back you'll see the same pattern. You've been getting up & going to work despite not sleeping and you've been able to handle it fine. Sure you felt like crud and it makes the days very difficult, you still did it and you made it through in one piece. You're stronger than you think, and able to handle much more than you think.

The next time you're awake at night and begin thinking about work the next day, just put it out of your mind. You know you can handle it, so tell yourself that, tell yourself it's not worth worrying about right now and put it out of your head. You have to be firm with yourself.

And instead of worrying about getting back to sleep, just focus on relaxing instead. Don't put yourself under pressure, just be still and focus on your breathing or on the small sounds in your room. Do not start telling yourself that you have to get back to sleep, that'll just keep you awake stressing! Focus instead on relaxation.

Learn some breathing relaxation methods and use them before you sleep or in the middle of the night if you wake. Maybe look up some progressive muscle relaxation or meditation videos on YouTube. Bookmark them on your phone so you can put them on quickly during the night.

There are some sleep hypnosis apps you can download and listen to on your phone. I use a great one called I Can Make You Sleep from Paul McKenna - it also comes in a book/CD format. It costs around €9 I think for the app, but I love it and listen to it every night so it's been worth the price for me. You could try some meditation CDs either, there are so many to choose from :)

Get rid of any clocks in your bedroom (especially digital ones that you can see the time at night) and *do not* look at the time when you wake. Just focus on relaxing.

Don't drink any alcohol before bed, don't listen to people who tell you that this will help you sleep as it won't help you sleep through the night which is what you want.

And trust me, get rid of the caffeine. Anxiety is the result of a stressed out nervous system - the sympathetic nervous system remains dominant, and anything that adds to that, like caffeine and other stimulants, is a bad idea for anxiety sufferers. And if you're having sleep problems then it's even more important.

What you want is to bring the sympathetic nervous system back into balance with your parasympathetic nervous system which will help you feel so much better. To switch back on the parasympathetic side of things you *need* relaxation methods such as meditation every day. If you look into this you'll find the way back to sleep again xxx

Karol.Papis
26-10-13, 18:37
Hi :) I think that the more you think about counting the exact amount of time you have not slept for, or how many hours you have slept for, you get sensitive about paying attention to these numbers (analysing - is it ok, is it not ok, etc) and then accidentally you keep your brain active (thinking!) when trying to fall asleep, and it may be hard to fall asleep when you think... perhaps try to do a few relaxing activities/hobbies to take your mind off the sleep thing? and perhaps try not to stay on your own for too long during the day? and see if any of these work for you? Hopefully soon you'll be sleeping fine! All the best! :)