PDA

View Full Version : anxiety or panic disorder ?

susan1963
17-10-13, 10:46
hi all, what sort of anxiety am I suffering with ?, when I go into shop or supermarket, I have to have someone I know with me, if they disappear I start to feel panic welling up, also I cant go out and about on my own either have to have someone with me, is this normal for anxiety sufferers :weep:

susie
17-10-13, 11:02
hi susan I know how you feel im 60 and ive struggled with this since I was 15 .I have a Labrador who I take for a walk twice a day but I cant go out alone I panic very badly I cant go in a shop alone buses are a big no no.im married and have 2 grown up sons.life for me is vey isolated ive been offerd some help if you would like to chat please pm me take care sue:)

susan1963
17-10-13, 11:06
thanks for your reply, its awfall isn't it, im 50 and also been like it for years, since I was 19 :weep:

theharvestmouse
18-10-13, 10:26
This is social anxiety.

Rennie1989
18-10-13, 12:47
I'd suggest getting a formal diagnosis from a doctor, nobody here has the training to tell you exactly what you're suffering from.

debs71
18-10-13, 13:31
Is this really 'social anxiety'??

I have more or less the same thing, Susan, albeit slightly different. I am able to go out by myself, but I feel nervous and a bit panicky. While I am moving/walking I feel ok, but my problem is when I stop in the shop, like when I am standing in a big queue. I feel sweaty, faint, racing heart and all the other panic attack symptoms, but I only ever get these feelings when I am shopping.

I never get them in restaurants, meeting friends, on holiday, family do's or any other social situations.

It is the weirdest thing.

I don't have to be accompanied. I still do it, but I sure would prefer if someone is there. I have GAD and my main issue is panic symptoms. I have suspected social anxiety, but always ruled it out as there is not a consistency there.

I put it down to plain old anxiety/panic.:shrug:

Kells81
18-10-13, 13:46
I don't think that's social anxiety-I believe that is more about a fear of interacting with other people and feeling embarrassed in front of them etc.

Sounds like a normal part of general anxiety/panic to me but as Rennie said it is best to get a diagnosis from a doctor.

theharvestmouse
19-10-13, 15:38
Actually maybe I was quick to say social anxiety, it sounds more like general anxiety but I'm no doctor.