PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Phobia And How To Deal With it?

looking4answers
31-10-06, 09:31
Its time to see the ent.I barely got through seeing the gp and she was just a little building not far from the house,but on weds.I have to 30 miles to a hospital and see what this dreaded pulsating has been in my head.Its called pulsatile tinnitus and it scares me just to think of going to the hospital to find the cause. i have worried with it since I went to the gp almost a month ago ,but started reading about more things it could be related to..Bad idea,My gp found a heart mumur and said it was nothing but now at the last moment I find that the pulsatile tinnitus can be caused by a heart mumur amonst other bad things.I am terrified and almost willing to live with the fear of not knowing than to face driving all that way to an even stranger place and I know its going to give me anxiety to the max.I had really bad anxiety just going to the doctor not far from home.If anyone could give me so help about how not to feel anxious about going to the hospital i sure would appreciate it.I am nauseas just thinking about it now and its day after tomorrow so the closer I get I know the worse it will be ..Please help?thank you ...

syl
31-10-06, 09:37
Hi
I suffer with hospital phobia and the anxiaty gets terrible just the thought of having to go to hospital feel sick trembling
someone on here told me to try Back rescue remedy and when i went to hospital two weeks ago it did help a little so might help you
good luck

honeybee3939
31-10-06, 10:22
Hi

Your not alone, i hate hospitals and doctors too.

Take with you some magazines to read, a puzzle book or have you a walkman? They will help distract your thoughts.I also find if i listen to relaxing music before i set off from home this also helps.

Try not to worry you will be fine

Love

Andrea
xxx

brenda
31-10-06, 16:58
Hi I have the same problem
Try and change the way you think about it.
Nothing is going to happen to you while you are there.
try and reassure yourself that all you will be doing is talking to the doctor and nothing nasty.

I did an NLP technique which really helped. YOu can find out more about this on this forum somewhere.
I will post again later cause I am just cooking dinner. got to go.

Ask Nigel on this forum he is good

Pam

brenda
31-10-06, 19:03
Hi again
This is the technique I used to help, I'm not a qualified NLP practitioner but got this from a book
Try running a video in your head of the situation
imagine going to the hospital and all the bad feelings etc. really feel it and go through it till you are feeling safe again
Then rewind the video in about 1.5 seconds till you are safe back home.
Do this several times and see how your level of anxiety is.
I also did the same thing imagining I was going to the hospital but this time I was watching myself on the video instead of being in it.
I found that I felt different because I was interested in what was going on in the video instead of feeling it myself.

You can also be like the projectionist in a cinema watching yourself in the cinema watching the video. This makes you even more detached from it.

It helped me a lot. Not sure if I have explained it all properley and there are others on here who could help you like Carl or Nigel

Pam x

looking4answers
02-11-06, 01:47
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi again
This is the technique I used to help, I'm not a qualified NLP practitioner but got this from a book
Try running a video in your head of the situation
imagine going to the hospital and all the bad feelings etc. really feel it and go through it till you are feeling safe again
Then rewind the video in about 1.5 seconds till you are safe back home.
Do this several times and see how your level of anxiety is.
I also did the same thing imagining I was going to the hospital but this time I was watching myself on the video instead of being in it.
I found that I felt different because I was interested in what was going on in the video instead of feeling it myself.

You can also be like the projectionist in a cinema watching yourself in the cinema watching the video. This makes you even more detached from it.

It helped me a lot. Not sure if I have explained it all properley and there are others on here who could help you like Carl or Nigel

Pam x

<div align="right">Originally posted by brenda - 31 October 2006 : 19:03:34</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Pam.

The appointment is for tomorrow not today .I didn't no this until yesterday.I woke today feeling really weird..Like im sick or just kind of paralized.The doctors office called me to verify the appointment for tomorrow.I had gotten a message and knew it was them calling praying that the had resheduled..I am so scared I can barely move.I need to get up and get around but im so terrified I don't know if im really sick or its all in my mind.I will try to find something on this forum for the technique you told me about ,and Nigel...but im freaking right now and its still tomorrow not tonight and im already sick...Michael

looking4answers
03-11-06, 02:18
Update for going to the hospital for pulse in ears,
I gathered as much courage as I could almost
coming unglued as the time for my appointment
neared.I went to sleep late as usual and allowed
for very little time to gather strength again in
the morning.I got in my vehicle and drove
30 miles to the hospital and parked way out
in the parking area and walked in to find that
the doctors I was looking for were on the 2nd
floor.I was rigid as a steel pipe but was still
doing ok.I was tested for hearing..Perfect,
tested for tumors…no tumors..no infections
no fluid in ears , a little wax but very little,
no cancers, no lesions,no blockages, no
bruits no nothing. Diagnoses was loss of 35lbs
over the time it took for me to start hearing
my pulse rate..causing loss of padding also
causing shift of tubes nearer to artery also
TMJ causing shift in muscles and nerves
and vascular sections close to the inner
ear.Complete three hour test ,checkup
and blood pressure spiking but went
back down to normal by end of
visit .Cause of pulse in ears surmised
was loss of weight,altitude change
and stress.Doctor said there was no blockage
of arteries ,no tumors,and if I could live
with the noise,which I have lived with
tinnitus for almost 20 years I think that
eventually my brain will come to not
hear this anymore or it could go away.
Doctor also said that he could order
scans but they would be negative and there
was nothing that pointed to a reason for
any scans..In short…It is all in my head,
He said I would probably live another day
to make another post lol…Thank you for your
reply to me and help.I made it through the
doctor and for me that was the hardest part.

brenda
03-11-06, 10:45
Brilliant . Well done have sent you PM

Pam