PDA

View Full Version : On average humans have 3 benign abnormalities that would be picked up on CT or MRI

cpe1978
17-10-13, 20:45
As part of my CBT I agreed to start doing some of the things that I would usually avoid. Things such as watching certain TV programmes etc.

So ever the diligent student I am sitting here watching Trust Me I'm a Doctor on BBC2.

They just did a feature on all these companies offering private body scans as a preventative screening measure. It was actually fascinating and if any of you feel able would be worth watching on iPlayer.

Basically the problem with 'healthy' people chasing scans is that a CT scan for instance can pick up abnormalities which are 1mm in size. So for example if you had chicken pox as a child you may have scars in your lungs which look similar on a scan to the start of lung cancer. They said that on average, each of us will have 3 visible abnormalities that a Dr may consider warranting further investigation out of due diligence. Less than 2% of these turn out to be anything other than totally benign.

Similarly chasing tests can never give you the definitive answer you are looking for, they can never be absolutely certain that there is absolutely nothing with you, so by default never providing the 100% reassurance so many of us chase. They are only useful and reliable in following up symptoms that a primary care professional believes may be something serious.

Of course the exception to this is people who have serious predisposing factors such as a hereditary condition that may lead to a condition.

So really I am just regurgitating what this programme said but maybe there is something in it, maybe genuinely we need to trust our bodies as the very best indicator of something seriously wrong, otherwise chasing scans might just fuel the fire of anxiety.

*Fallen Angel*
17-10-13, 21:23
Interesting. I had a brain MRI last year which was clear but picked up a lump in my neck. It took another 2 mris and 12 months for them to be satisfied it was benign.

Fishmanpa
17-10-13, 21:37
That's good stuff CPE!

There's something to be said about that. If anything, I'm probably the opposite of HA. I pretty much refuse to believe anything is physically wrong with me ~lol~

When I had my first heart attack, I knew to my bones what it was but I had to look it up anyway. I was physically fit, ate right and only 47 so it can't be a heart attack can it? So I look it up and I'm reading down the check list... Pain CHECK... radiating down the arm CHECK... Nausea CHECK... etc. etc.... When it got to the part in big bold letters that said GET TO THE HOSPITAL! is when I was like Uh Oh!

With the cancer, again I was denying it until after the 2nd round of antibiotics didn't get rid of the swollen node. Then I got a bit scared. But I had a gut feeling something was up anyway. Call it intuition or whatever but I wasn't surprised at the diagnosis. Nonetheless, my heart still skipped a beat when I heard the words "You have cancer" and I never want to hear them again.

With HA, it seems there's a gray area as anxiety symptoms mimic some physical symptoms to an extent. It's keeping the "all clear" tests and doctors words in the forefront of your mind that seems to be key. I like what I read about CBT and how it helps you organize your thoughts and keep logic in focus. Just like everything else in life, if there's a will, there's a way. The way I see it is no different than any illness. I had to go through hell to rid myself of cancer. The alternative wasn't too attractive if you know what I mean ;) It's not easy but you can rid yourself of anxiety if you want to bad enough. The alternative is to live in fear and that's not living is it?

Positive thoughts and prayers