PDA

View Full Version : palpitations diazepam help

messycess
17-10-13, 23:35
Hi guys new on here but looking for some advice if possible !

My problem is with heart palpitatins on a daily basis. We lost our son last year in a tragic accident and I am still not over it. I have been suffering from panic attacks/palpitations since.

I have been in and out of the doctors countless times and I have been prescribed countless anti depressants such as citalopram, trazadone and the latest mirtazipine. None having any effect whatsoever on my palpitations. Counciling has had zero effect too.

The only real help (god send) is diazepam which calms me down and within 30 mins lowers my heart rate to bearable levels.

Obviously diazepam is prescribed reluctantly and the docs are now refusing to give me any :(.

I can not be given beta blockers as I suffer with asthma.

Has anybody found any luck with any other drug to stop palpitations in there tracks or is there no such thing ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rennie1989
18-10-13, 12:54
I am so sorry to hear about your son. As scary as palpitations are they are not harmful, they are one of the main bugs of my anxiety but accepting they are not harmful and ONLY a symptom of anxiety helps to relieve them. Relaxation techniques are also great because as you relax your heart rate and breathing rate drops.

messycess
25-02-14, 20:11
Hi again,

I've been lucky to find a new gp and she seems happy to continue with the diazepam for now. (Thank god ! I had to go almost 2 months without any)

She has also given me amitriptyline to help get me to sleep as the sedating effects of the mirtazipine have dispareared completely and I find they are working reasonably well. Im on 10 to 20 mg per night.

Im still having recouring nightmares tho and my palpitations still scare the hell out of me :(.

One thing she did say tho is that there is something else we could try instead of the diazepam but she didnt mention the name. Any ideas what this could be ??

She didn't want to give me 2 new drugs at the same time as she would not know which one was or was not working. (The amitriptyline or the one she never mentioned).

Is there a non benzo alternative to diazepam any one has had success with?? I cant have beta-blockers as I have asthma.

Any opinions are much appreciated.

SarahH
25-02-14, 22:03
She is probably talking about Pregabalin.........you may want to look at the heading on the "medication" page. It's not and anti-depressant, but is now a common drug for anxiety.

Sarah