18-10-13, 11:18
Ask your doctor.

Last resort for what though?

I'mdave27
18-10-13, 11:19
Weight loss

cpe1978
18-10-13, 11:35
Why is it your last resort? The problem with anything like this, is that unless weightloss is underpinned by lifestyle change then all that will happen is an increase in weight again, which in turn makes it more difficult to lose.

ankietyjoe
18-10-13, 11:44
Diet pills are usually stimulants.

I really wouldn't.

I'mdave27
18-10-13, 11:48
Well I have been yo yo dieting for a few years now and to be honest I'm obsessed over losing weight it's a problem , I know that. My diet isn't the worse but it's not the best either I'd say I'm just your average man but then again when you think about , not every man is on citalopram. I use caffeine to wake me up because I'm tired all the time , I'm dependent on caffeine too , then in the evening I use alcohol to unwind. It's only the one beer I have but it's still not good because I know what problems that can create , which is not where I want to go. I have been tested for diabetes due to having hypoglycemia attacks so if this turns out that I am diabetic then I can go on a healthy regime but if not I feel stuck...

Fishmanpa
18-10-13, 11:48
Why is it your last resort? The problem with anything like this, is that unless weightloss is underpinned by lifestyle change then all that will happen is an increase in weight again, which in turn makes it more difficult to lose.

Wise words. No pill, machine or specific exercise will be a weight loss cure all. Proper nutrition, regular exercise and lifestyle changes will get you there.

Good Luck!

peachychou
18-10-13, 12:38
I tried diet pills from Japan once. I should have guessed from the ad how stupid I was being, these girls went from like 70kg to something ridiculous like 37kg. After I took them my heart started racing, I got palpitations and my blood pressure skyrocketed. They made me so dehydrated and I got headaches all the time. I only lost like 4lbs and I felt so sick I couldnt do anything.

Diet pills are a terrible idea. Most of them work by increasing heart rate which makes your metabolism speed up apparently, but like too much caffeine its so bad for your heart.

One beer an evening to relax is absolutely harmless btw and is not too much alcohol at all. Theres no reason to be embarrassed but yeah alcohol has so many hidden calories.

mikewales
18-10-13, 12:43
The best way to lose weight is just do the opposite of what is putting it on in the first place. Exercise, stop drinking and eat more healthily. Beer is one of the worst as it contains loads of calories ( hence men getting beer guts ).

There are certainly much better ways than taking diet pills, most of which won't work anyway, it just takes a bit of effort and dedication

Rennie1989
18-10-13, 12:58
Hearing on the news about people dying from diet pills I really wouldn't bother taking them. Eating a healthy diet of plenty of fruit, veg and water and cutting down on meat, carbs, sugar and fat will help. Keeping active will help also.

Considering we don't know your weight/height ratio, how much weight you want to lose and whether you should or should not being losing weight we can only offer you so much advice. In any case speak to your doctor.

I'mdave27
18-10-13, 13:28
This whole dieting business is very hard for me to get my head around. I've tried being a vegetarian I lasted a whole day , way too hard , all the vegetables and fruit made my stomach hurt really bad which resulted in doing a number 2. I already suffer with stomach problems such as dioreah (spelt wrong) I can't afford to be going toilet worse or more then I do already sorry for nasty details but it's true , has to be told. I find eating healthy extremely expensive not all of us are on top wages with big bonuses , not being rude , plus after a while it gets boring. I like the sound of the paleo diet but the book is too hard too understand.

Rennie1989
18-10-13, 13:37
That's normal, though, because you're body is getting used to a new food regime. Increasing fruit and veg intake does make you excrete more, it's because there's fibre in fruit which encourages a healthier digestive system. If you keep at it that spell of diarrhea will go.

I'mdave27
18-10-13, 13:53
Hmmm I still have to be careful though because running through a busy high street looking for a toilet whilst fearing I might .... myself isn't a good look , not in my eyes anyway. What about the 2 day diet ? Any good ? P.s your really knowledgeable it makes you cool

Rennie1989
18-10-13, 14:05
Never heard of the 2 day diet. Although I find these 'fad' diets a little ridiculous when all you need is a healthy, balanced diet with exercise. If you want to lose weight then consume less calories then you burn. If you have concerns speak to your doctor about a diet plan effective for you.

Haha thanks!

I'mdave27
18-10-13, 14:13
You said you hadn't heard of the 2 day diet and you think fad diets are stupid so does this mean the 2 day diet isn't a fad because you ain't heard of it ? Hope that makes sense lol so you recommend a nutrition book could help ? There's one for men I've had my eye on for quiet a while now. What's your diet ?

debs71
18-10-13, 14:20
Dave, as everyone has mentioned already, I would steer well clear of diet pills. The main thing they do is stimulate the heart and nervous system, which is a nightmare for anyone with anxiety.

I am gonna go against the grain when it comes to dieting with healthy eating. I also loathe eating like Bugs Bunny, and although I will eat the odd salad here and there, I simply could not do it daily, not solely eat fruit and veg and a piece of skinless chicken all day and all night. I have IBS and a diet of fruit and veg would be a nightmare frankly, and totally depressing besides.

Tedious as hell.

I firmly believe that you can still eat what you enjoy, but in far less amounts and not every day, and most crucially in smaller portions. I never had to watch what I eat when I was in my teens/twenties. I could eat what I wanted and not put an ounce on, but as I have reached my 40s, I can't do that anymore, so although I don't diet, I do watch what I eat and be strict with myself.

You can still eat what you enjoy, but limit it....greatly. Cut out as much fat and sugar as you can. Limit yourself to one treat a day (mine is a packet of Frazzles, lol). If you must eat ready meals, look at the fat, but paticularly saturated fat content (the fat that sticks). Keep to the least calorific, and least fatty.

All this you combine with exercise. Again, I don't believe you have to be in a gym 24/7. Replace the car/public transport with walking when you can. There are tons of workout videos on Youtube.

Small changes can do a lot, and have a very good effect.

Good luck.:)

Rennie1989
18-10-13, 14:25
I was generalising, the name gives off the impression it's a fad diet, to me.

I'm not on a diet, I'm underweight so I'm trying to put weight on. But I just eat healthily, or as healthily as I can. I couldn't recommend a nutrition book because I don't know any, but I'm sure anyone on here who does could recommend you one.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

Debs - When I mean healthy eating I don't mean only eating carrots and lettuce I mean making sure you eat a balanced diet. A chocolate bar a day won't hurt, as long as you eat your five portions of fruit and veg.

Fishmanpa
18-10-13, 14:34
Healthy eating/nutrition doesn't entail eating like a rabbit.

A balanced diet of proteins and carbs in various forms is beneficial. Everything in moderation. Do you have to give up chips and ice cream? NO! But you can't have them every day!

4-5 smaller meals a day, low fat protein (chicken, fish, lean beef), low glycemic carbs, (rice, potatoes, vegetables), fruit etc. Proper hydration (THAT MEANS WATER) along with exercise 3 days a week (walking is fine) is the way to go. It's no different than what the health experts recommend.

The word "diet" is misleading. People think it means staving yourself. What it really means is consuming what your body needs but just a tad less. If you gained 20 pounds in 6 months, it will take at least that long to lose it. Where you put the weight on first is where it comes off last. It's simple physiology.

I eat healthy. I have to due to my heart condition and having cancer but do I deprive myself? NO! If I want a beer or two watching the game, I'm going to have them. If I want a piece of fried chicken, I'n going to have it but the difference is moderation. a couple of beers as opposed to a twelve pack and 1 piece of chicken as opposed to a bucket and only once a week at the most. Use your common sense and will power.

There is no miracle pill or two day diet that will be your path to long term weight loss, health or fitness. It takes desire and work.

Good Luck!

AuntieMoosie
18-10-13, 14:40
Dave my advice is to steer well clear of any "miracle" tablets or any set diets because in the long run, they just don't work, all that happens is that as soon as you're off of them, the weight will go straight back on.

I'm currently on a weight reducing diet and I've managed to already loose a stone in 6 weeks :)

So............how have you done it, I hear you ask........................

Just by completely swapping all the bad stuff for the good stuff, I'm not following any of the so called "diets" nor am I taken tablets for it, I'm just adjusting my diet to a more healthy one :)

I totally agree with Debs too, it's no good saying to yourself "I can't eat this and I can't eat that!"...........why can't you??................you can eat whatever you want to eat, so long as you're keeping it in control, if you fancy some chocolate, have some, why not?? If you fancy some chips, have some :)

The thing is, the more you tell yourself that you "can't" eat the things that you fancy, you're kind of setting yourself up for failure, because you're going to end up miserable, stressed and unhappy, and that, in turn, will be the thing that makes you eat.

Just have a go and swapping some of the stuff that you eat, do it gradually, and then by all means, have a little of what you fancy, there's no harm in that is there :)

cpe1978
18-10-13, 14:40
Eating healthy in my view can be much cheaper than not doing. When I was at uni I used to eat far more cheaply than my house mates by buying cheap ingredients, cooking from fresh and cooking large quantities. Easy with things like spaghetti bolognese, casserole etc.

Also exercise is so important. There are public health message about how much you should do but in reality try and do more tomorrow than you do today and so on.

Unfortunately I think it is as simple as eat better, eat less and move more.

Good luck.

tiff123
18-10-13, 16:43
Eating well doesn't have to cost more or even as much as as an unhealthy diet.

I dropped 2+ stone earlier this year just by cutting carbs (and sugar) and keeping carbs I did eat to low GI ones (Sainsburys do a wholewheat low gi pasta for example). Not coz I needed or wanted to lose weight, just to control a separate health issue I have.

Focusing on health rather than illness helped me a bit (with the anxiety side of things).. we all know by now if we want to be healthy we need to eat something similar to a Mediterranean diet with lots of veg and fish (or white meat).

Also if you know you have a period of junk food coming up (e.g xmas) then just make sure to get back on track after.

I'mdave27
19-10-13, 12:55
I'm going to give healthy eating a try but I'll try and make small changes gradually

AuntieMoosie
19-10-13, 20:49
Yep that's the way to go Dave, do it all gradually, then you'll gradually adjust to it :)

Let us know how you're doing, and come and get lots of support, I know that it helps me :)

ankietyjoe
20-10-13, 14:23
This whole dieting business is very hard for me to get my head around.

Expend more calories than you consume.

It really is that simple.

Daisy Sue
20-10-13, 16:46
One of my family members is attending a diet group (don't think I can say the name in here), and basically what she's doing is having a low fat diet... & it's working. There are loads of filling-up foods which are classed as free foods, so you can have plenty of them, such as noodles (all the pack noodles you can get at most supermarkets, but not the cheese sauce ones), and tinned spaghetti, baked beans, plain baked potatoes, tuna, fish, chicken - as long as it has virtually no fat, it's fine. There's a spray called Fry Light which is oil with one calorie per spray - really good for any cooking that does require oil/fats.
And the less expensive supermarkets like Lidl, Aldi etc all stock low fat or fat free yoghurts. For drinks, we're using no-sugar cordial and diet fizzy drinks, and Options hot chocolate. You can get low fat grated cheese in bags which is great for sprinkling on baked potatoes or omelettes.
And - no bread. Just crispbreads & crackers. There's even low fat crisps.

So, I guess what I've learned is that it's really easy and not expensive to swap from a full fat diet to a low fat one, and if you do swap the weight will definitely come off, even if it's slowly.

Hope that's been helpful :)

AuntieMoosie
20-10-13, 17:00
I totally agree with Sue :D

With me, I seem to be loosing weight pretty well just by cutting out anything containing fat, you can't avoid everything, but just being conscious about it and cutting it out where you can, really makes a difference.

Since I've switched to healthy eating, most days I feel I have so much more energy and I don't feel half as bloated as I did do.

Having said that, I've got roast pork tonight, and you know what comes with that don't you??...............crackling!!!..........I so love it.............now..........can I resist today..........or.............shall I have just a weeny bit to satisfy my need?? :emot-drool: :winks: