PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in the house!

peabodyfreak
31-10-06, 12:59
Hi there everyone,

I discovered this board yesterday when I was doing some research into some additional therapy for myself and after a quick look around I think this place is exactly what I need. Discussions with people who understand what I'm dealing with because they deal with it too, or have done in the past.

A little about me. I'm called Kerry, I'm 29 years old and I'm chronically Emetaphobic. I've suffered with this affliction all my life and don't have any idea where it came from or how to get rid of it. My phobia was at a livable level until a few years ago when I became increasingly aware it was getting worse, until July 2005 when my world came crashing down around my ears in the form of a nervous breakdown. I can speak flippantly about it now, but this time a year ago I was a shell of the person I am now. I'm originally a northern girl from Halifax, West Yorks (UK) but had been living down in London for the last 7 years and everything was going fine other than my phobia steadily getting worse. I had always been very conscious of what I eat, how clean my kitchen is, where I buy food from etc but I had started to develop a period after each meal where I sat waiting to see if I had food poisoning (this being a fate worse than death in my eyes). I started having flashes of images in my mind every night as I lay down to go to sleep. My sleep became erratic and I couldn't even contemplate sleeping if I didn't have a bottle of Pepto Bismal on my bedside table.

On top of that, there were other things going on in my life that had become stressful and it was all building up slowly until I finally cracked. My stress was displaying itself in the form of nausea and obviously for me this was a very uncomfortable thing. I started having hysterical panic attacks, the odd one here, the odd one there, until they started to become a regular thing. They became so bad I was afraid to go out of the house in case I started to panic. My mum came to stay with me a few weeks to get me back on my feet but it was quite clear I had passed the point of no return when I started becoming afraid to eat because it would make me feel even worse or potentially make me sick. That's when we knew that I needed help and I couldn't do that in London, 300 miles away from my family. My doctor in London had told me to "get over it" (his exact words, I might add) and I hadn't been in to work for a few weeks. We discussed it and agreed that I had to go back to Halifax for a little while to get myself straightened out and see my family doctor (who was a hell of a lot more inclined to listen to me). So that's what I did. I gave up my job, my house, my social circle, everything, and went home.

I didn't think things could get any worse for me but in fact, they got a lot worse. Once I was home I started visiting my doctor and he immediately made me several appointments with the hospital so that I could have a head to toe physical to make entirely sure the nausea wasn't medical. In this time I had been eating virtually nothing at all (maybe one chocolate bar throughout a day) and I started losing weight dramatically. I was still having panic attacks and they had built up to one every day, sometimes more, until I was basically in a constant state of panic. I had to be given medicines to relax my body, medicines to make me sleep and medicines to ease the depression that was setting in. I was afraid to be alone in case I got ill, I was afraid to go to the bathroom (when I was 15 I threw up while innocently sat on the toilet), I was afraid to eat, afraid to sleep (I once woke up in the middle of the night for no reason and threw up). I withdrew into myself and only spoke when I really needed to, I had no physical energy to walk around much (due to no intake of food) and I cried every day. I missed my London friends, I missed working (although I couldn't do it even if I had the motivation to) and I just couldn't accept that this is what I had been reduced to. My mum had to hold my hand when I went for a simple pee! I cried when any meal was put in front

yorkylover
31-10-06, 13:39
Hello Kerry and welcome to the forum.You will get helpfull advise here and make lots of friends.;)

Ellen XX

LickeyEndBlues
31-10-06, 14:02
Hi Kerry
Welcome. I'm newish here and have found the site a great help. I can't relate to what you have/are going through but I know there are folks here who will.

I'm sure you wil find it useful.

Iain

Laisez les bon temp roulez

Piglet
31-10-06, 14:18
Welcome to the site :D

Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

honeybee3939
31-10-06, 17:02
Hi Kerry

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will find some great advice here and make new friends on the way!:D

Love

Andrea
xxx

trac67
31-10-06, 18:32
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Granny Primark
31-10-06, 18:36
Hi kerry,

Welcome to this brilliant site. Im sure that with the determination you have got now you will beat your phobia.
Because of this site and the support ive recieved from the members i am at last begining to get my life back. Its a struggle and some days are worse than others, but the support youl recieve from this site is better than any you can get from your g.p.

Take care
LYNN xx

nomorepanic
31-10-06, 18:43
Hi Kerry

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

I was born in Halifax so I know it well. Howarth is such a lovely place to visit as well!

We do have quite a few other posts about emetophobia so these may help you as well..

Emetophobia
EXPOSURE THERAPY... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2712)
To Emetophobia sufferers (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2253)
1st day CBT exposure for emetaphobia = scary (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4930)
A visit to the Doctors (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5503)
CBT for emetophobia my experiences... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5998)
Emetaphobia 101 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7053)

I am surprised they haven't referred you to get some CBT or have you considered alternative treatments such as EFT?

Hope we can be of some help anyway.

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

peabodyfreak
01-11-06, 10:35
Hi there everyone and thank you so much for the warm welcome.

I can't believe you were born in Halifax NMP! How bizarre is that? I don't live there anymore but I go back very frequently though, to visit family.

Thank you also for the list of links provided. I actually printed those out yesterday to read once I got home from work, and ended up reading them on the bus home. I have to admit I got quite emotional reading it all because (and I'm sure every person here who has a phobia has done this) even though you know its a recognised problem that people deal with, you still believe you're the only one who has it and that NO ONE understands how you feel. It got me a bit misty eyed when I had the proof right there in my hands that there are people who have the exact same thoughts as me, the same food issues, the same emotional reactions etc. I always knew I wasn't alone but I guess it's a slap in the face to realise how common a problem it is. I think what I was feeling was relief.

As for someone's earlier question (sorry I blanked as to who it was), no, I've never been recommended CBT although after reading Mark's experiences with it I was horrified and felt a little panic-ey myself! No, he didn't put me off it, its something that has terrified me for as long as I can remember. I wish I had the guts to do something like that.

What is EFT? I'm not familiar with that term.

Kerry xx

mad_shell66
01-11-06, 17:46
hello kerry

and a big warm welcome to you

shellxx

nomorepanic
01-11-06, 19:23
Kerry

I live there until I was 3 years old but still have loads of relatives living there.

Glad the posts helped you a bit even though some may have upset you.

EFT is described here ..

http://www.emofree.com/

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

peabodyfreak
03-11-06, 14:53
Excellent!

I'll be sure to check out the link you gave me! *fingers crossed*

Kerry xx

Fly2Freedom
03-11-06, 15:38
Hi Im new too.[:X]
I tried to read all of it and its hard for me to take it all in but I did see you had an eating problem.
I havent been able to eat a full meal for a year.
Now I can only eat a sandwich a day or a few mouthfuls of a meal.
Then although Im hungry I start to feel sick and sometimes even heave.
Obviously I have lost a lot of weight.
I saw my doctor this week about this problem but he wasnt very helpful.
Low appetite and losing weight is caused by my stress and depression.
I honestly dont know what to do about this but I noticed you go to work and thats something I cant do.
So thats good.
All I can suggest is try to boost your immune system and you might have low potassium levels.
A blood test will tell,mine was very low due to not eating etc.
I understand and a big hug for you.
Love xFlyx

keepemlaughing
03-11-06, 16:29
Wow! Now that is a thorough post. What jumped out to me the most is the wonderful family and friend support you are fortunate to have. Your family sounds like they are full of love and concern for one another. You are lucky indeed
As far as the food issues go, I have just the opposite problem; I eat when I am not hungry, I eat way more than I want or need, I have to be munching on something all day, and I eat until I am physically ill. I am 50 lbs overweight and sit in front of a computer all day at work, so my fat arse doesn't get much exercise.
These issues i am sure play a huge part in anxiety and depression.
Keep coming back to this site. The people are wonderful and give great caring advice. The chat lines are a real good way to get to know people.
Take care,
Shery[8)]

Sheryl

Allie
03-11-06, 19:15
Hello!

It seems you are working hard to overcome your anxiety!

I suffered with swallowing phobia as part of my anxiety which I am currently getting CBT for. I used to cough obsessively and spit as I was convinced I would suffocate if i!did not. With a lot of persistence I overcame my habit cough in June and continue to make great progress in other areas of my anxiety disorders.

Good luck! Keep up the good work chuck!

Alison xXx

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

peabodyfreak
06-11-06, 13:21
Well done Allie! Even small steps are steps in the right direction. You'll get there, I have faith.

Sheryl, have you spoke with your GP about the overeating? What some people fail to realise is that this is also classed as an eating disorder.

Please email these people and explain what is happening with you and they can send you some advice on what steps you can take: helpmail@edauk.com

They are the Eating Disorder Association and will be very helpful to you.

Fly, one of the things I did to help me eat better was to keep a food journal. Write down everything you eat or drink (straight after you consumed it) in a little notepad. The next day, try to eat one more morsel of the thing you ate the day before, and build up slowly. You can also try Build-Up drinks. They're full of vitimins and may help to maintain weight whilst not consuming much food. You can get banana flavour or strawberry (yummy), and they're safe to eat, I promise.

The journal might seem silly but it works as a visual aid to prove to yourself that you can eat and that you are determined to eat more. You can't go a whole hog with a big meal because your stomach has shrunk so you must do small growths at a time, if that makes sense.

I hope I've been helpful to you all :)