PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea for 2 weeks with "normal" stool test results

skyisblue
19-10-13, 02:08
2 Sundays ago, I started getting this very watery stool with some abdominal pain. It started to get better after 4 days. However, until now I still get bouts of watery stool even though the pain has generally disappeared.

Frequency of going to the toilet has decreased as well even without taking loperamide.

Last night my bowel movement was seemingly formed and normal. I had a stool exam last night too which showed some moderate bacteria. I had two doctors and two medical technologists say that it was completely normal.

Now I woke up with watery stool again. :(

Is it considered to be a 2-week diarrhea if I have some seemingly normal bowel movements in between? I mean for the past two weeks there have been days in which I only went to the toilet once.

I know anxiety can cause this but I really doubt this is just anxiety. :(

Fishmanpa
19-10-13, 06:55
...the pain has generally disappeared....
Frequency of going to the toilet has decreased as well even without taking loperamide.

Last night my bowel movement was seemingly formed and normal. I had a stool exam last night too which showed some moderate bacteria. I had two doctors and two medical technologists say that it was completely normal.

....... diarrhea .....

What's to doubt?

Good Luck!

skyisblue
19-10-13, 11:20
Hi fish,

Well, I am basically worried about my loose bowel movements. No matter how hard I try, it's still there. Although there are better days, but the following day always follows with another bout of loose stool. The cycle goes on. Sigh. :(

I just went to another doctor today and I was advised that my tummy might still be recovering. Other than that, it could be stress. I was prescribed omperazole for the acidity that might cause loose stools and some probiotics.

Ugh it's so difficult to trust doctors with this.

Fishmanpa
19-10-13, 12:01
Hi Blue,

I was on Omperazole during my treatment as the chemo messed up my stomach big time. Now, I can take OTC acid reducers and they work fine. If you want to talk about abnormal stools, we could swap some poo war stories let me tell you! ~lol~

Even now, 6 months afterwards my stomach and bowels are not right. I vacillate between constipation and loose stools on a regular basis. I get the same thing you get all the time. No biggie and it's not bowel cancer!

There are many factors that can cause differences in our stools. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of people don't drop perfect turds! ~lol~ What we eat, when we eat it, the amount of water we drink, life in general, stress levels, and in your case add anxiety can and will alter our bowel movements and appearance of our poo.

Here's what you have to ask yourself. Do you trust the doctors that have gone to school for 8 or more years, have been treating hundreds of people for many years more and have seen all the unique variables the human body and mind are capable of, or do you trust the fears your mind is conjuring up and an algorithm called a search engine?

When you look at it that way, if you choose the latter, it makes it seem pretty silly ;)

Good Luck!

skyisblue
20-10-13, 15:18
Thank you Fish,

I keep on balancing the last part you said about the comparison between the doctor's education and experience vs my silly Googling. I know the former should triumph but my HA tells me otherwise! I will try to fight this.

Omeprazole actually worked for me two years ago. I really had bad acid issues! It somehow cured my persistent hunger pangs due to excessive acid. I am glad it worked for you too.

Well, I guess I found another thing to be worried about. I haven't pooped yet today! :(

I don't feel constipated. I just really don't feel the urge to take a dump. I've been farting all day, but I haven't pooped yet. :( Oh wow, this is just unbelievable. :(

debs71
20-10-13, 15:29
Has anyone mentioned IBS to you?

Sure sounds like it to me!

emlica
21-10-13, 11:11
2 Sundays ago, I started getting this very watery stool with some abdominal pain. It started to get better after 4 days. However, until now I still get bouts of watery stool even though the pain has generally disappeared.

Now I woke up with watery stool again. :(

Is it considered to be a 2-week diarrhea if I have some seemingly normal bowel movements in between? I mean for the past two weeks there have been days in which I only went to the toilet once.

Hiya,

It sounds like you might have had a stomach bug (those 4 days of diarrhea and abdominal pain could have been some kind of gastroenteritis) and sometimes the bug can really play havoc with your digestive system. I have/had the same thing - I've had loads of tests and stuff, all clear. The doctor says that sometimes it can take a couple of months for your bowel habits to get back to normal and it can be really up and down. It might be that you're more sensitive to certain foods now as your guts are still recovering - and anxiety definitely won't be helping. It's been a few months since I had the bug now and my guts are *nearly* back to normal. Not quite back to how they were before I had the bug, but I'm at a stage now where it doesn't interfere with my day, if you know what I mean? I have the odd day now where things are a bit 'loose', but then I can have a week or more when it all seems pretty normal. Some people can develop IBS after a stomach bug - which I guess might be what's happened with me - though apparently it does usually sort itself out; it can just take a while.