PDA

View Full Version : how do you arrange private tests through a gp?

eastofeden
19-10-13, 18:48
i want to pay for a private test. please spare me lectures. it might be a waste of money but it'll be worth it if it reassures me.

Ive heard some say you can ask your gp to organise/apply for a test with a private clinic. id like to go with a big name organisation like bupa.

do you have to buy an insurance pack with them? or can you arrange a one off test? and does it affect your nhs medical records or what?

nomorepanic
19-10-13, 18:55
Just call BUPA and ask for the department that you want and then ask for an appointment for a private test.

Yes you can have one-off tests but they are not cheap!

eastofeden
19-10-13, 19:01
Just call BUPA and ask for the department that you want and then ask for an appointment for a private test.

Yes you can have one-off tests but they are not cheap!

Great, thank you. :)

cpe1978
19-10-13, 19:04
Also be aware also that tests can also show totally benign abnormalities that may warrant further investigation, which may in turn cause more anxiety. Think carefully before chasing tests against the advice of your GP - you may not get the reassurance you crave.

debs71
19-10-13, 19:07
The only thing you may need though from your GP is a referral letter, or a letter explaining your reasons for seeking tests.

Although BUPA/SPIRE or whoever will see you anyway, they do get a bit huffy in my experience if you don't have some kind of back history letter.

Maybe just for tests they might be more relaxed though.