PDA

View Full Version : Increase from 20mgs to 40mgs

Georgie1
20-10-13, 16:57
Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice... My GP wants me to go up to 40mgs of fluoxetine per day. Will all the nasty side effects come back? I'm scared to start it as I had very bad side effects for 3-4 weeks when I started the 20mg. Has anyone had experience with going up a dose? Would very much appreciate any replies x

Princess2206
20-10-13, 17:10
Hi Georgie :) don't worry to increase dose :) I had to do it and didn't really had much of side effects but the difference after few weeks was amazing :) I felt so much better on 40mg :) let me know if you have any ? :) good luck and stay positive :)Big Hugs :hugs:

jelly2010
20-10-13, 21:02
Hi Georgina,

This is just my experience but....
I did experience some side effects from the increase but they were no where near as bad as when I first started taking fluox in the beginning. For me 20mg had very minimal effect on me and increasing to 40mg was the best decision and I really would urge those who's GP are recommending an increase to try and ride out any side effects - particularly if you got through them when first starting the medication as you know you can handle them.

Believe me when I say I know how horrible the side effects can be. When I first started taking fluox I felt truly terrible for many many weeks but I feel much better now.
Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if you need some support.
Love, J x

Georgie1
25-10-13, 11:05
Thank you all for your replies.
I went back to my gp, and discussed my concerns with him and he's come up with a good solution, every 2nd day I will take 40mg and on the other days take the 20mg, after a couple of weeks it'll will even out to 30mgs in my system. He has also given my so diazepam to get me through the tough days. I have desired to wait till Wednesday to start as I'll have a few days off work. Thanks again and I'll update my progress as it may help others.

Georgie1
05-11-13, 22:51
Day 1 of increase:
Took 40mg and only after a couple of hours the nausea started, felt a little panic but nothing that I couldn't handle, I think working made it easier.
Day 2
20mg day today, no nausea or panic, feeling ok

Hope everyone is doing good x

Georgie1
06-11-13, 20:42
Day 3
Took 40mgs today, no effect on me today, just a little nausea. Does anyone know whether I'll get really bad side effects with increasing fluoxetine?

Georgie1
10-11-13, 16:50
Day 6
Nausea and sweating, other that this I'm doing good, thank god :)

Georgie1
19-11-13, 09:24
day 15, can't believe I've not gotten the side effects I got when I started taking the fluoxetine :)
I'm getting night sweats, does any know is this normal?

richrocks
29-08-14, 22:48
I am starting 40mg tomorrow too :-)

I have been on 20mg for about 6 months and I know it's not enough. So much so I could have given up. My doc has persuaded me to go up to 40mg.

I came on here for the same reason as Georgie1 with the same concerns and I am really glad I found this thread. I am almost looking forward to tomorrow!

anthrokid
30-08-14, 00:10
Great to hear the side effects from increasing haven't been anywhere near the ones you experienced when you first started. Hoepfully you'll be feeling great on the 40mg in no time :)

amrc
23-09-14, 18:24
Hi just wondering how you got on with the 40mg...I have been on 20 mg for the past 3 weeks but the doctor today said to increase it to 40mg and Im very concerned about highering the dosage to be honest.I was feeling a lot better last week with the anxiety/panic attacks but yesterday and today they are pretty bad and I had to take Xanax to try to help me.