PDA

View Full Version : does anxiety feel like a hangover?

vicky23
20-10-13, 19:41
Just wondering out of curiosity....... I've been on medication since I was 15 and I'm just not the wild type so at 27 I have never had a hangover! :scared15:
Anyway...
A colleague at work was saying he had a hangover and it got me to thinking that I wonder if the feeling of being hungover like feeling sick, tired, brain fog etc are like what a lot of us suffer day to day as anxiety sufferers?

theharvestmouse
20-10-13, 20:47
I've had hangovers and yes anxiety and depression can feel like a hangover as well. I hardly drink these days but I quite often will get days where I feel like I am hungover. Can be due to not drinking enough water but then sometimes even when I drink plenty of water this feeling can remain.

cokesmyth5
20-10-13, 22:46
Drinkers with hangovers are more fortunate - they usually feel a lot better by the afternoon!

Daisy Sue
20-10-13, 23:00
Yes - I've often described it to GPs and family as being like a 'drunk' feeling, particularly when it's the kind of anxiety that makes you feel off balance rather than shaky.

ddonaghey1989
22-10-13, 22:32
daisy sue does anxiety make you feel unbalanced on a daily basis this is what i suffer with and its terrifying

Daisy Sue
22-10-13, 23:48
daisy sue does anxiety make you feel unbalanced on a daily basis this is what i suffer with and its terrifying

Hi - well certainly that's one of the effects I had from anxiety when it was really bad. I had to hold onto walls and kitchen units as I felt so unsteady, and it was every day like that for months on end, until I started to get better with CBT and relaxation.

I would advise you to get checked out by your GP (if you haven't already done so) as other things can make you wonky, like ear infections etc.. but if the GP says there's no other cause, and you're obviously suffering with anxiety, then I'd think it would be safe to say it's the anxiety causing it.

vicky23
23-10-13, 16:32
I think this is the reason I have a bit of a fear of drinking to be honest, the thought of feeling horrible and possibly throwing up I know I'd just get so anxious so I'd rather just not bother :shrug:

NoPoet
23-10-13, 19:54
Hangovers can last up to four days and they can involve anxiety and feelings similar to depression. When I used to go on nights out, I used to drink spirits and I'd feel terrible for days afterwards. I changed to alcopops and didn't ever feel that bad for that long afterwards. But I don't drink at all these days.

Anxiety can leave you feeling foggy, dizzy, tired, confused, derealised, you can get flu-like symptoms, etc, etc. In short, anxiety can create any number of strange and upsetting physical and mental effects. A good rule of thumb is, the weirder or more inexplicable they are, the more likely they're just anxiety. Oh, and anxiety can change symptoms once it knows you're getting wise to them. It's nothing if not imaginative.

ankietyjoe
23-10-13, 19:59
For me no.

I would rather spend the rest of my life with a bad hangover than another month with bad anxiety.