PDA

View Full Version : New Member: Lymph Node Issues and Generally Miserable

Limas
21-10-13, 18:42
Hello all. I am a new member of this forum. I came by it because I was Googling (oh, for shame) symptoms related to swollen lymph nodes in my groin. A little back drop: I had Melanoma a few years ago and have been hyper vigilant over my skin, health since then. About two months ago, I found a swollen lymph in my groin. My GP referred me to a surgeon who said it was too small to biopsy and well within normal. A few weeks later, I found another. When I found it, I spiraled downhill and quickly - panic attacks, etc. My GO ordered a CAT Scan and assured me that they were well within normal and to monitor. However, my surgeon decided to remove one of the lymph node and biopsy and culture it. I just had this procedure dene this morning. I am dreading the next 8 days while I await my results despite NUMEROUS assurances from doctors that by all appearances it is FINE. I am so miserable =/ How am I going to deal with the next week??

Annie0904
21-10-13, 18:49
Doctors can usually tell if there are any problems so if they have said it appears fine then I would take reassurance from this. The CAT scan would have shown any problems so I am sure they have done the biopsy to reassure you more.

Limas
21-10-13, 18:53
Thanks Annie. I am trying to take solace in that. I am just anxious about them being there in the first place and my mind won't stop. Just when I get a handle on it, my mind develops some other what if. It's such an awful disease. Fortunately, I was put on medication for it last week which seems to help - at least with the panic attacks. Sigh.

HoneyLove
21-10-13, 19:09
Limas dealing with melanoma in the past must have been incredibly scary for you, I can't imagine what you went through. It's no surprise that after that experience you find yourself hypervigilant about any further health problems.

Have you ever gotten any help to deal with the trauma you must have experienced with the shock of melanoma? Or to help you release the anxiety it must have induced in you?

Limas
21-10-13, 21:58
I am starting therapy this evening. I didn't realize how traumatized I was until I found the node. I cried all the way home after surgery today. Don't even know why.

HoneyLove
21-10-13, 22:04
It sounds like you're more stressed than you thought, and perhaps the issue with your node just brought some of the original anxiety back to you. It's great that you're starting therapy, I think it will really help you. Best of luck with your appointment tonight x