PDA

View Full Version : Manager causing me to feel anxiety.....

AngelRose29
21-10-13, 19:21
I can't relax at work right now cos I've had my hours cut & rightly so cos my manager told me today that if I don't start smiling more & saying good morning to customers she & the main manager will get rid of unhappy people. It's load of rubbish cos I do say morning etc & smile. It feels like a personal attack on me cos I am a quiet person & I can look unhappy when I'm not. But I'm feeling so anxious in the place right now cos of this manager I have. I'm applying for other work but scared I won't get anything before I'm pushed out. Everyday now I'll be thinking "is she gonna ask me for a word & dismiss me?" She can't just leave me to get on with my work like I want & get the hell out of there when I finish :(

lizzie29
21-10-13, 19:44
If I were you I'd go over the top with smiles and friendliness now, even if you don't feel it inside, so that whenever your manager looks they see you smiling. You've admitted you can look unhappy when you're not, so try to be aware of that and be extra smiley, as people who don't know you may think you're unhappy.
Try not to worry about it as this will make you look unhappier!

AngelRose29
21-10-13, 19:56
I think it's cos I'm constantly thinking & worrying in my head & this shows on my face. But how I can I feel relaxed when I have to deal with a bitchy manager who could sack me or say stuff to me at any point of the day. It's making me dread going in.

MRS STRESS ED
21-10-13, 20:06
I know exactly where your coming from I dread going work my manager is awful she intimidates me ,I feel worse when I see her I try to avoid her as best as I can but its hard ,I keep looking for another job too ,but im frightened to leave really not because of my manager its my anxiety :doh:

Rennie1989
22-10-13, 10:24
I'm the master of fake smiles! I get stressed at work and I struggle to smile at the customers so I just fake it. Not to mention when the staff make your situation worse too.

I do find that attitude from your manager unacceptable, could you possibly speak to them or to their superiors about the situation?

AngelRose29
22-10-13, 11:40
I'm off work for a few days but have this feeling of anxiety in my chest. I mean I go off work with stress and I go back & they cause me more & more each day. I'm on less hours so I'm worrying over money so can't really relax so I'm worried I won't find another job before I start to struggle. I get told they will start getting rid of unhappy staff no matter how good they are at their job so that makes me even more anxious. I can't relax when I'm at work cos Im worried over what my manager will say next. Another work colleague is having problems with her too but worse cos they're more outspoken than me & others have said she's been snappy with them too & had a go at them. A few months ago a workmate left without notice even though she'd been there 5 years cos she'd had enough of how she was being treated. I need to get out fast but it's so so had right now :(

lizzie29
22-10-13, 11:43
Do they know you're off with stress? If so, they're not very sympathetic towards you! Is there anyone you could speak to about it?

gypcyg
22-10-13, 12:01
There are procedures that the company has to follow if they are to dismiss someone - see here http://www.smallbusiness.co.uk/running-a-business/employing-staff/20726/guide-to-sacking-an-employee.thtml

So they need to issue you with a written warning, then if they are still unsatisfied they need to have a meeting with you. If they still are unhappy with your response then a final written warning must be given. You can appeal at any stage if you feel what they are saying is unfair.

I don't know where you work but if I was you I'd start to keep a diary in case you need to appeal. Good luck.

Rennie1989
22-10-13, 12:03
Managers cannot sack staff for looking 'unhappy', you could sue them if they did that. I would complain to somebody higher up about your manager because her managerial skills are appalling and is costing the company money on staff turnover.

AngelRose29
22-10-13, 12:54
Do they know you're off with stress? If so, they're not very sympathetic towards you! Is there anyone you could speak to about it?

I was off for a few weeks with stress but have been back a week ago now but Just on my days off the next few days. My manager never even asked how I was or welcomed me back. She delayed my back to work interview causing me anxiety & my punishment is chopping my hrs down. I've always done extra & not gotten stressed, it was only cos they pushed me too far and made the pay unfair that caused my stress. I was just worrying all the time. I had to take time out & seek Drs help cos I was so scared I'd end up feeling worse :( she always seems to mention the big managers name whenever she says something like she has his backup.

Brunette
22-10-13, 13:22
Yes, as Lizzie says, try to keep up the effort for now but keep applying for those other jobs.

If you are not suited to a customer facing job where you are expected to be happy and smiley all the time, then, long-term you need to find something more suited your personality.

I couldn't be like that either.

AngelRose29
22-10-13, 14:06
It's half and half with customer facing, some days I won't see any at all. I'm not around people all the time. I suppose I better start plastering a fake smile on my face when my manager is around & fake happiness cos that might be satisfying actually :) to show she doesn't get to me.

lizzie29
22-10-13, 18:49
Yes, don't let her know she's worrying you. She sounds nasty, the sooner you get out of there the better.

Smile through it all and inside be thinking how it's probably annoying her because you're proving her wrong! 1-0 to you!

AngelRose29
22-10-13, 19:35
I know I need to get out but I'm also scared of jumping at the first thing that comes my way, I mean if I'm lucky enough to get anything of course and it making me worse. Or ending up with no job at all if things fall through. I've never left one job for another before, I'm already worrying over references and this sick leave I took going against me.

lizzie29
22-10-13, 19:39
Yes, don't be too hasty, but certainly keep looking.

How long have you been off sick?

AngelRose29
22-10-13, 19:55
I was off for 3 weeks my first ever longish period of sickness off in this job. It seems to have gone against me though in the managers attitude towards me. They don't care about my well being at all & I've just been spoken to like rubbish since I got back :( Like I've done something terrible.

lizzie29
22-10-13, 20:15
How long have you been with the company? I personally don't think 3 weeks is overly long, but depends how long you've been there. If only a couple of months then it's obviously more of a big deal than if you've been there a year.

AngelRose29
22-10-13, 21:58
I've been there six years now & always had good sickness record til now. I tried to look after my own health for once & it's just backfired on me :(