PDA

View Full Version : I still get panic - but ACT immediatly.

NPS_Paul
31-10-06, 22:04
Sometimes i refer to recovery from Agoraphobia as being like recovery from Alcoholism. I have no experience on alcohol, but on programs they say that the recovered alcoholic is one drink away, for the rest of their life, from becoming an alcoholic again.
This morning i was woken even earlier than usual by my 1 year old, at 5.30am. The alarm is set for 7.10am for the whole family, his older 4 brothers to go to school. Anyway by 8.30am when i left my 2nd eldest who is autistic at his school, and turned to walk home all the old Agoraphobic symptoms were there.
I'm alone. Walking down the road. Who's around. Are they looking at me? I don't get the same physical symptoms of my Agoraphobic days, years ago, but mentally it's similar. Mentally i want to run home, like the bad old days. Lock the door, go into the bedroom, pull the duvet over my head and live in fear of every sound.
What i'd like to gently share is what i did next and why it is so important to other sufferers and those starting recovery.

I knew the only thing to do was to face my fear head on. I had to act immediatly, do something anything except run away. So i walked home, jumped in the car and went to the local shops. Then i had a coffee in a sea front cafe while reading a property paper. Then i phoned an agent with an inquiry. Went and saw my mother and drove her to the hospital to visit someone.
To be honest the day took off from there and until 8pm, i didn't have a free moment! It was then i looked back and thought...cor remember how you felt this morning.
It genuinely works! Yes it gets easier with practice. Weeks, months and now years. I just hope that by showing a little weakness in my self, others may gain helpful insight. Love to all readers, Paul.

Love to all members

clickaway
31-10-06, 22:41
Hi Paul,

as a footnote to your story and advice, I was recently told that we should dispell any negative "panic" thought within twelve seconds as we can get into a downward spiral that quickly.

Cheers,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

chillx
31-10-06, 22:59
Hi

I would have to agree my best days are when I am fully occupied. It is sometimes hard but it is the only way to recovery. I used to look forward to days when I was at home and didn't have to go to university but when they came they were usually bad days and I felt at my worst. So I now occupy my days and go to the library or shopping and try and face my fears.

chillx

Jenni 70
01-11-06, 08:49
Hi Paul

As a former agoraphobic, I know how easy it is to be fooled by the old feelings.

You should give youself a big pat on the back for facing the feelings and not running away. If you had run away you would have felt very disappointed with yourself. Hard as it is, facing the fear is the only way forward. I have had relapses, but told myself it was just old memories coming back and not to be fooled by them.

You have a very positive attitude and I'm sure you will overcome your fears.

Keep up the good work and if you have a bad day, don't let it demoralise you, tomorrow is another day.

Good luck Jenni

Paddington
01-11-06, 13:42
That is wonderful news Paul,well done .I t takes alot to face the fear!Thanks for sharing it with us too,it encourages me as i am going thru a blip at present ;it will pass .The folk on here are living proof that it does!Love mary rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

yorkylover
01-11-06, 14:45
Well done Paul.:D:D:D

Ellen XX