PDA

View Full Version : Still experiencing mental anxiety

Chocorooni
22-10-13, 09:58
I have been on propranolol for almost 9 months after finally going to the doctor following a series of panic attacks with constant anxiety. I had been having panic attacks from age 10 and was 16 when I went on propranolol. I am now 17 and I like the propranolol it is brilliant for the physical side of anxiety and I have had a reduced number of panic attacks. The problem is that the mental side of the anxiety is getting so much worse it is getting me down :( I am going to go back to the doctor. Anyone else that has experienced this, how did you go about this and how are things now? Anyone else currently experiencing this?

kittikat
22-10-13, 13:27
I am sorry that you are struggling with the 'mental side of anxiety' this can be very hard to deal with.

Try reading some self help literature but by far the best thing would be to try some CBT therapy - perhaps your GP could refer you?

You are using 'learned behaviour' that escalates the anxious thoughts and need to learn some coping techniques to help you manage better.

Try to keep positive, anxious thoughts are just that - thoughts - so if you can learn to ignore them and take charge you will benefit greatly from this.

Good luck, Kitti :)

jayjoe18
22-10-13, 15:52
Hi, sorry to hear your struggling, obviously the Propranolol only deals with the physical symptoms of anxiety and not the mental strain and worries. I think you would probably benefit from some therapy to help control those thoughts.

Definitely have a trip back to your doctor to discuss, they will be able to refer you if you want to go down this route.

Hope you feel better soon!

Rosie2
25-10-13, 23:27
Oh god, every word of your post could have come from my mouth!
I found it v. helpful for the physical effects, such as a quicker pulse/panic attacks ect, but my thought process was exactly the same - on the inside I was panicking, but my body just was not reacting to it.

I have been thinking of trying something stronger... good luck to you, and let me know if you find something more helpful please!! x:hugs:

Chocorooni
02-12-13, 16:01
Oh god, every word of your post could have come from my mouth!
I found it v. helpful for the physical effects, such as a quicker pulse/panic attacks ect, but my thought process was exactly the same - on the inside I was panicking, but my body just was not reacting to it.

I have been thinking of trying something stronger... good luck to you, and let me know if you find something more helpful please!! x:hugs:

Yes, exactly what is happening with myself! I went back to my doctor, who is referring me to some sort of adult psychology team. As they are specifically trained and she thinks will help me better. My doctor is great as, unlike most doctors, she would rather things get properly sorted rather than more and more pills. Although I did ask her if there was anything that I could take on an 'as and when' basis for when I cannot deal with the mental anxiety. This was about 3 or 4 weeks ago I am still waiting for a letter back. I think some sort of therapy/CBT will be involved. xx